Trip Report North Sulawesi Trip Report Part 1

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just to add to what @Luko says about diving in Tulamben, the scuba gear porter system is unique to this area. When you dive there, you’ll see most Balinese DM (guide) are men. Balinese women work as the porters, who would carry the diving gears for you. The fee is small, but it makes a big difference to the economy of this village. Below is a picture of one of the porters, Nyoman Kartini and her child in 1999, taken by Mike Severns and posted in page 93 of “diving Bali” ISBN 978-0-7946-0600-8 by David Pickell and Wally Siagian, a good reference book for diving in Bali.

View attachment 722141
A more recent picture of Tulamben porter 😱

01BECEEA-5E1A-4EA2-8D25-3DFB36BFB93A.jpeg

Courtesy of alamy.com
Woman carry Diving Equipment for Tourists, Tulamben, Bali, Indonesien Stock Photo - Alamy

Search Amazon for Bite Away or NuBite TX

Interesting to see some real reviews here. I'm buying one in anticipation of the bug bite fest in Roatan next month.

Search Amazon for Bite Away or NuBite TX

Interesting to see some real reviews here. I'm buying one in anticipation of the bug bite fest in Roatan next month.
I need those to prevent me from getting bite.

I need those to prevent me from getting bite.
Then you’ll be disappointed. Those are for new bites to help relieve itch. They heat up the skin and some magic is supposed to happen.

I own the bite away. I first learned about it from some German doctors while traveling in Thailand. I have skeeter syndrome. If I zap it immediately, it stops it in its tracks and the itch is gone. If I don’t, I get huge welts, the swelling and size gets to about the size of a dessert plate and it starts to hurt, throb, and blister with no scratching.

I use the Thermacell lithium ion anti mosquito device. This allows me to travel with it and I just carry the liquid refills. The non lithium ion ones are gas based so you can’t bring the refills on flights. They work as well or better than mosquito coils without any smell. No one would realize it’s on unless you told them. We also take it camping and sometimes when moths hang around the lights too long, they start dropping and dying. It gives you an area of protection approximately 10x10 feet in each direction. I’ve not tested the distance limits since I’m usually next to it. It doesn’t work well when super windy though so I have other tools. I’ve sworn by this device, unscented Proven insect repellent and lotion (12 hr and 14 hr protection, respectively ), and ExOfficio Insect Shield clothing when it gets bad and they bite through clothing. I spent 4 weeks in Indonesia and only managed 5 bites. Pretty good if you ask me.
2 of those weeks was with @Searcaigh in air con, sealed rooms. 2 of those weeks was in an overwater bungalow with no air con and unsealed. 1 bite was through my non ExOfficio pants, 2 on my arm when I was in my swimwear not wearing any protection, and 2 on my feet when I forgot to spray my feet or have the thermacell on. All while dining outside or hanging out. All other times I had spray, insect treated clothing, and/or the thermacell device on. For the bites I did have, bite away to the rescue immediately.

If that's the only wildlife you had in your shower, call yourself lucky, to my mind. I've had to try to soap up, shampoo etc. whilst running around under the stream to keep the skeeter off of me. Let's not even talk about the spiders and other interesting creepy crawlies. :)
A foreshadow of things to come was the ground moving when I was going back to the room until I realized it was a gigantic tarantula. I took my rashguard into the shower with me to wash and rinse then noticed something was moving and it was a huge spider. Huge. I screamed, gave it my choice swear words, shrieked, and bashed the crap out of it then wondered how much of the resort heard me.
Thanks for writing this up, I always enjoy reading the long ones. Did you only do macro dives in Bangka? I thought it was more of a reef destination but I only see macro in your photos (which are great btw). I’m thinking of going there in July doing 5 days in Bangka 5 in Lembeh and 1 in Bunekan thinking it’s half macro half reef - but now I’m thinking maybe that’s too much macro…

Look forward to reading the rest!
I only shot macro at night, with the exception of a few dives. The rest were wide angle. The Murex Bangka house reef has some nice macro and wide angle. :)
Doing a similar package with Bastianos, they were cheaper but looked nice enough. As long as there is a decent bed and food I am happy since I usually pass out by 9-10pm after 4 dives a day.
Bastianos in Lembeh is closed and has been sold....
To what extent is this a North Sulawesi thing vs. other mainstream Indonesian dive destinations? Are people staying at land-based resorts in Raja Ampat, Komodo, Bali and others likely to have a similar experience?

I take it a pump bottle of Deep Woods Off isn't enough to keep them at bay?

Mosquitoes are bad enough; I can just imagine someone blundering into your situation unexpectedly after reading about malaria and other mosquito-borne illnesses.
Land based in Raja Ampat (at least, at Papua Explorers) does not have the mosquito issues that Lembeh, Bangka, Ambon, Bali, FM7 hotel in Jakarta (lol), or even Komodo. Way fewer mosquitos in my experience. (The best is still on a liveaboard...none!) I use 20% picaridin (Proven Insect repellent, unscented...lotion is 14 hour protection, spray is 12. It's minimally sticky and you don't notice it like other sprays.) Check out ExOfficio Insect Shield clothing as well. I talked about the Thermacell device above, too.
I've been to Raja Ampat twice, 3 weeks in total. Land based both times (homestay not fancy resort) and I can't remember seeing a single mosquito there!!! My son (3 years old back then) who is a mosquito magnet, didn't get a single bite during his week long stay!! That was amazing!!

Both times it was first week of December or so. Maybe things are different on different seasons.
There were definitely mosquitos when I was at Papua Explorers for 2 weeks but there are far fewer than other places in Indonesia that I've been to which was a huge relief. I can't say the same about other land based places I've been to in Indonesia.
omg @outofofficebrb can you pls give me the amazon link
Hi! Yes!
This works so well and I swear by it. In case you have any hydroid or marine stings, it also works for that but you'll need to hit yourself a few times to cover the areas or the multiple spots. Basic hot water, alcohol, and vinegar will also work but if you happen to have this device on hand immediately it's an option. :)

Ty!
I own the bite away. I first learned about it from some German doctors while traveling in Thailand. I have skeeter syndrome. If I zap it immediately, it stops it in its tracks and the itch is gone. If I don’t, I get huge welts, the swelling and size gets to about the size of a dessert plate and it starts to hurt, throb, and blister with no scratching.

I use the Thermacell lithium ion anti mosquito device. This allows me to travel with it and I just carry the liquid refills. The non lithium ion ones are gas based so you can’t bring the refills on flights. They work as well or better than mosquito coils without any smell. No one would realize it’s on unless you told them. We also take it camping and sometimes when moths hang around the lights too long, they start dropping and dying. It gives you an area of protection approximately 10x10 feet in each direction. I’ve not tested the distance limits since I’m usually next to it. It doesn’t work well when super windy though so I have other tools. I’ve sworn by this device, unscented Proven insect repellent and lotion (12 hr and 14 hr protection, respectively ), and ExOfficio Insect Shield clothing when it gets bad and they bite through clothing. I spent 4 weeks in Indonesia and only managed 5 bites. Pretty good if you ask me.
2 of those weeks was with @Searcaigh in air con, sealed rooms. 2 of those weeks was in an overwater bungalow with no air con and unsealed. 1 bite was through my non ExOfficio pants, 2 on my arm when I was in my swimwear not wearing any protection, and 2 on my feet when I forgot to spray my feet or have the thermacell on. All while dining outside or hanging out. All other times I had spray, insect treated clothing, and/or the thermacell device on. For the bites I did have, bite away to the rescue immediately.

In case you have any hydroid or marine stings,
You get me Interested : have you field tested it on hydroids?
The long Tulamben hydroids are unforgiving, as I am using low rise boots (though the hardest sole you can find on the market, perfect for Tulamben entries) i get my ankle stung just between my boot and wetsuit, sometimes my wrists too (a.k.a the photographer's symptom : you're never too close from a subject) it takes me almost a month to get rid of the red itchy pimples.

For mosquitoes, I buy Sofell about 1,5 USD in any Indonesian store, the most effective mosquito repellent I have ever used, never been bitten by any mozzie since I am using it even in Ubud or Lembeh in wet season (I like the pink one).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom