Trip Report North Sulawesi Trip Report Part 1

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For mosquitoes, I buy Sofell about 1,5 USD in any Indonesian store, the most effective mosquito repellent I have ever used, never been bitten by any mozzie since I am using it even in Ubud or Lembeh in wet season (I like the pink one).

Nothing magical or mystical about Sofell.

From the manufacturers website: Ingredients: The main ingredient in SOFFELL is 13% DEET

Nothing magical or mystical about Sofell.

From the manufacturers website: Ingredients: The main ingredient in SOFFELL is 13% DEET
Anyway, who wants magic with mosquitoes? We just don't want to get bitten but effectiveness in that respect. So if you need something that works in Asia : take that one. I've used other Picaridin or DEET based repellent and they simply didn't work as well.
FWIW i grew up in a mosquito infested country of the South Pacific, the question was not whether you'd get dengue or malaria but when. I got dengue once, it wasn't good so I'm not joking with mosquito bites.

have you field tested it on hydroids?
Both @outofofficebrb and I had minor stings and used hot water on the boat when we surfaced followed by some liberal use of vinegar and the stinging subsided a lot.

When we got back to shore I almost forgot about it, but when reminded I used sanitiser around the area and was fine.

You get me Interested : have you field tested it on hydroids?
I did but I only had a few small spots on my hand and nothing major. I’m not familiar with the tulamben ones but given your description, yikes! The application area is quite small on the device so if you got hit hard in a large area it would take a while to move along the entire affected area. I did have an issue on one of my knuckles that got pretty angry during the dive after trying to get a shot of the Lembeh sea dragon….they all love to hide under a ledge or somewhere camera-unfriendly for access. (They’re in cahoots with each other!) For that one, we had really hot water available and I followed it up b6 alcohol and then vinegar when back to the resort. Almost Ike it didn’t happen and not noticeable. It worked like a charm!

Finally, a good use for hot water kept in insulating containers instead of on instant coffee. :D

Actually, I do bring one more secret weapon for my anti mosquito measures. I’m surprised @Searcaigh hasn’t shared a photo yet lololol. I bring a 1 person backpacking tent and toss it on top of the bed when I get trust issues. I’ve been eaten alive at night while sleeping in air con sealed hotel rooms in Indonesia before. I sometimes still use it when my partner shares the bed with me so I have affectionately dubbed it the “chastity tent”. Netting is easier and lighter to carry but a hassle and more trouble to keep sealed and to put up. This one is easy. :)

Anyway, who wants magic with mosquitoes? We just don't want to get bitten but effectiveness in that respect. So if you need something that works in Asia : take that one. I've used other Picaridin or DEET based repellent and they simply didn't work as well.
FWIW i grew up in a mosquito infested country of the South Pacific, the question was not whether you'd get dengue or malaria but when. I got dengue once, it wasn't good so I'm not joking with mosquito bites.
How many insect repellents Soffell produced?

NO DEET otherwise it is not natural.

I grew up in Southern Africa. Our national bird was the mossie. (Happy to go at it from a disease perspective). When I served in the military, we were given quinine based meds for uncomplicated malaria. Some of the guys would not take it because they were told that it inhibits melanin production and they wanted a tan. Hilarity ensued. That’s a horrible disease. I use DEET and Picaridin. Yours probably smells better than mine. :wink:

How many insect repellents Soffell produced?

NO DEET otherwise it is not natural.

The no DEET one is the not WORKING one. They have done studies on those and they've been found to be attractants rather than repellents!

You have saved me some money and unnecessary trip in either Indonesia or Thailand! LOL

I use eucalyptus based.

Eucalyptus and Mosquitoes: Does Eucalyptus REALLY Repel Mosquitoes?

It is NOT as good as DEET but good enough for me
Sorry Centrals - that’s bogus. As long as you’re not worried about Dengue, Zika and Malaria, go ahead and use horsefeathers mixed with dandelion potion - same as eucalyptus etc. Just don’t ask others to buy into that poppycock. Dangerous advice.

Sorry Centrals - that’s bogus. As long as you’re not worried about Dengue, Zika and Malaria, go ahead and use horsefeathers mixed with dandelion potion - same as eucalyptus etc. Just don’t ask others to buy into that poppycock. Dangerous advice.

Not really!
I have been using it(same brand) for several yrs and it is just not as effective as DEET but good enough for me. When the female mossie wants my blood for her to develop eggs, there is no stopping!

Back
Top Bottom