North Sulawesi Trip Report: Bangka Island and Lembeh, November 2018

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ironborn

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
What follows is an overview of my two-week trip to North Sulawesi in November 2018, during which I visited both Bangka Island and Lembeh. I will post individual accounts of my experiences in each of those two destinations on separate threads.

It was Lembeh that had originally attracted me to North Sulawesi, and in retrospect Lembeh turned out to be the more fulfilling of the two destinations for me. My trip to the Philippines earlier this year fueled my interest in further Indo-Pacific diving trips in general and my more specific interest in macro photography and muck diving. Hearing other guests in both Puerto Galera and Anilao – but mostly the latter – talk about their experiences in Lembeh fueled my interest in it. Sharing my photos from the Philippines – especially those from Anilao – on Instagram and elsewhere generated feedback from Indonesian dive shops and foreign divers who had been to Lembeh, which further fueled my interest. I sensed that like-minded divers with similar tastes gave Lembeh the “gold medal” and Anilao the “silver medal” for macro photography and muck diving, so I looked forward to improving upon my already impressive experience in Anilao. My research to identify some of the more unusual creatures that I had photographed in Anilao also led me to the highly informative blog of NAD Lembeh. Their blog further fueled my interest in Lembeh and contributed to my eventual choice of that resort, even though I later considered and researched its competitors before deciding.

The problem was that I live literally half way around the world in New York City. I determined that I would need a trip of two weeks in order to justify the expense, duration, complexity, and resulting jet lag of flights of that magnitude. As appealing as Lembeh sounded, variety is the spice of life, and I was hesitant to spend two weeks there, or in any one place, for that matter. I researched North Sulawesi further and learned about Bangka Island and Bunaken, both of which I considered as destinations for another leg of my trip, in addition to Lembeh. I decided on Bangka Island over Bunaken because I have historically preferred reefs over walls. I decided against the “Passport to Paradise” package of the Murex Dive Resort chain, encompassing all three destinations, because: I wanted to spend more time in Lembeh; I had already decided on NAD Lembeh for the Lembeh leg of my trip; and I was hesitant to invest an entire two-week trip in one operator. I nonetheless chose Murex Bangka for the Bangka leg of my trip because: it struck me as the most popular and well-regarded resort on the island; it was one of only two resorts there with Nitrox; and the other resorts seemed more limited in what they offered.

Choosing a flight was a more substantial obstacle. I ultimately chose the combination of Singapore Airlines and its SilkAir regional subsidiary, planning to fly directly between New York and Singapore, with connecting flights between Singapore and Manado. The key selling points for me were the positive reputation of Singapore Airlines and the seamless itinerary that would have enabled me to fly all the way from New York to North Sulawesi on one airline (sort of), which I hoped would reduce the likelihood of a missed connection, lost luggage, or other such complications. The downside was that SilkAir's flights to and from Manado only left four times a week, which limited my scheduling options.

Both of those selling points turned out to be wrong, as Singapore Airlines canceled my originally booked outbound departure from New York due to vaguely described “operational issues” at the last minute, as I was on my way to the airport. They could have gotten me on a flight to London with Virgin Atlantic, one of their codeshare partners, for another Singapore Airlines flight from London to Singapore that would have gotten me to Singapore on time for my flight to Manado. They refused to do that, however, because they had locked the reservations of all passengers on the canceled flight so that they could rebook everyone “systematically,” rather than on an individual or first-come, first-serve basis. In other words, those with higher fare classes or preferred status received priority rebooking. I must have been at the bottom of the barrel, given my low fare class and my lack of status with that airline, so I had to wait until the next day for my rebooking. I flew on Virgin Atlantic to London for an onward Singapore Airlines flight to Singapore, where I caught the SilkAir flight to Manado the next day. The airline's unnecessary delay in my rebooking caused me to miss the first day of my prepaid, non-refundable stay at Murex Bangka. Perhaps I could have avoided missing that first day of my trip if the airline had been more flexible in rebooking me on a first-come, first-serve basis. I was fortunate that I had originally chosen to fly to Manado on a Friday, as there are also SilkAir flights to Manado on Saturdays. I had chosen Friday for that reason, as it was the only day of the week on which SilkAir also flies to Manado the next day, giving me a backup the next day in the event of a cancellation.

Singapore Airlines staff handled the cancellation and rebooking poorly, with lower-quality customer service than I have ever encountered with any airline other than Southwest. It was as if they were unfamiliar with their own procedures for canceled flights and rebooking passengers from those flights, or as if they had never experienced a cancellation before. It took me so long to elicit an answer from them as to why they could not or would not immediately rebook me on the alternate itinerary that would have gotten me to Manado on time that the window of time to get me on that flight passed, and it was too late; I would have to wait until the next day. To make matters worse, a Singapore Airlines stewardess on my flight from London to Singapore rammed my leg with a beverage cart as she was racing down the aisle at full speed, as if there were some sort of beverage emergency. I plan to avoid Singapore Airlines like the plague in the future and would encourage others to do the same.

Bangka and Lembeh complemented each other well, making for a well-rounded, balanced trip, despite my ultimate preference for the latter. The rich reef growth, high fish density, and often impressive topography of Bangka complemented and balanced the often unusual and exotic critter encounters and rewarding photographic opportunities of Lembeh's muck dives. By the same token, the muck dives that we did on Bangka yielded relatively little (compared to Lembeh) in the way of critter encounters or photo opportunities, and the reefs of Lembeh sometimes struck me as somewhat unremarkable, compared to those of Bangka. In a perfect world, one might hope to have both rich reefs and rich muck diving in the same place, but perhaps the best one can do in reality is to combine those two types of experiences by visiting two different types of places in one trip, which one can do in North Sulawesi.

Comparing this trip to my trip to the Philippines, I would say that Bangka and Lembeh were more rewarding for the specific types of diving for which they are known, whereas those two destinations in the Philippines were more balanced and well-rounded. For example, Puerto Galera and Bangka Island are reef diving destinations; I found Bangka's reefs far richer than those of Puerto Galera, but Puerto Galera also had better muck diving and more critters than Bangka. Both Lembeh and Anilao are muck diving destinations; I would say that Lembeh has better muck diving than Anilao in most respects, but Anilao has better reefs than Lembeh. As much as I like muck diving, I also like to take a break from it and see some coral every now and then, and at least in that one respect, Anilao was more balanced.

From a photographic perspective, Lembeh was far more rewarding for me than Bangka Island. To give you an idea of what I mean: after post-processing, I ended up with 116 images from 20 dives on Bangka that I would consider at least minimally presentable, but 334 images from 24 dives on Lembeh that I would also consider at least minimally presentable. Granted, I had four more dives at Lembeh, and my bottom times at Lembeh were usually longer (up to 15 minutes longer), but the disparity is still remarkable even if one accounts for those factors. The limitations of my current wide-angle setup were another factor in this disparity, as it was inadequate for Bangka's impressive reefscapes. My own special interest in macro photography was probably another factor, but even if one accounts for all of these factors, the disparity is still significant. Lembeh's reputation as a goldmine for photo opportunities is well-deserved. Numbers aside, I would also argue that the quality of my images from Lembeh was often higher due to the subjects and the environment. I posted my highlights on my Instagram profile, to which there is a link in my signature block: have a look and judge for yourselves.

(to be continued in the next post on this thread)

I had read much about the widespread garbage in the waters of some of Indonesia's dive destinations. I was pleasantly surprised to see that Bangka's reefs and even its muck diving sites were largely free of garbage or other visible human refuse. Bangka's underwater environment was quite pristine in general, and I would go so far as to say that the reef growth there may have been the richest, densest, and healthiest that I have ever seen anywhere. In contrast, garbage and other signs of human pollution are quite common in Lembeh, perhaps more than I have ever seen in any other popular dive destination. Nonetheless, the garbage and other human defilement did not significantly detract from my personal experience. While I recognize the detrimental environmental impact, the sight of pervasive garbage may be less disturbing to me, as a native New Yorker. than it may be to others, as I am used to it. I also noticed that some of the muck dive sites with the most garbage, particularly those near villages, often had the most animals. I could not help but wonder if some of the garbage was having an “artificial reef” effect in those sandy areas, providing shelter or structure for some of the animals. I will write a separate post on this issue, which I think deserves further discussion. In any event, it was reassuring to see that an area suffering such a significant human environmental impact was nonetheless still teeming with what may have been the widest range of marine animals that I have ever encountered in one place.

One advantage of Lembeh over Bangka Island is the wider selection of dive resorts from which to choose, and what would appear to be more competitive and arguably higher-quality offerings from the Lembeh resorts, based on my pre-trip research and my subsequent experience. There were only five resorts on Bangka from which to choose, and I chose Murex simply because the other four seemed quite minimal in what they offered in terms of diving capabilities, facilities, etc, and because it seemed to be the most popular and well-regarded. In contrast, Lembeh offered many more options beyond my initial interest in NAD Lembeh, and some of its competitors that I researched seemed quite appealing as well. I ultimately decided to stick with NAD Lembeh not only for its specific selling points, e.g. 2:1 diver:guide ratios, but also because I sensed from the way that they presented themselves on their website and in their social media presence that I would have good “chemistry” with their dive operation (which I ultimately did). In retrospect, Murex Bangka had a quality dive operation, but the resort itself could have been better for the price. NAD Lembeh's dive operation was better in all respects but one, and the resort itself was a more upscale and comfortable facility. I would say that NAD Lembeh yielded better value for the money, as they were both in roughly the same price range.

As I had found in the Philippines, the Indonesian dive guides at both resorts demonstrated wildlife spotting skills that I would say were well beyond what I have encountered with Caribbean dive operations. Now, in all fairness, the Filipino and Indonesian guides probably have more opportunities to demonstrate their wildlife skills than their Caribbean counterparts, given the greater biodensity and biodiversity at hand, but perhaps those same conditions have also given them more opportunities to sharpen their skills. Between these two Indonesian resorts, I would say that the NAD Lembeh guides demonstrated sharper skills in this area, which may also be attributable to the greater opportunities to sharpen their skills that Lembeh provides. The only issue that I encountered was that some of the Indonesian guides were less proficient in English than their Filipino counterparts, and I did sense that there was a bit more of a cultural gap to bridge in Indonesia, as one might expect.

Another aspect of Indo-Pacific dive trips that I have enjoyed was the opportunity to move beyond the overwhelmingly American crowd at most Caribbean destinations and mingle with a more diverse crowd of divers from Europe or elsewhere. NAD Lembeh had a mixed crowd of Europeans, North Americans, and East Asians, whereas Bangka Murex appeared to be a resort for Germans. Suffice it to say that I had better chemistry with the mixed crowd at NAD Lembeh. As one would expect at a Lembeh resort, the crowd at NAD Lembeh consisted almost entirely of photographers, as everyone had at least a compact, if not a DSLR rig. Photography was clearly less of a priority at Murex Bangka.

I hope to return to North Sulawesi, but only after I try some other Indonesian destinations first, in which this trip fueled my interest. I had originally ruled out Raja Ampat partially due to the length, complexity, and cost of flights there, but after the ordeal of getting to North Sulawesi this time, the trek to Raja Ampat does not sound so bad anymore. The thick reefs and high fish density of Bangka Island really impressed me and fueled my interest in what must be an even richer environment in Raja Ampat. I had considered Bali as an alternative to North Sulawesi, and it will probably be my next destination in Indonesia for its combination of muck diving and macro photography in the north and reef diving and big animals in the south. Whenever I return to North Sulawesi, Lembeh will still be the main attraction for me, and I will probably pair it with Bunaken instead of Bangka, in the interest of variety and given what appears to be the greater popularity of Bunaken. Despite my interest in further exploration of Indonesia, the Philippines might be a more frequent repeat destination for me, if only for their greater logistical and linguistic/cultural accessibility and some of their non-diving attractions, if not for the more even balance of muck and reef diving that I experienced in Anilao and Puerto Galera. Wherever I go, it will most certainly not be on Singapore Airlines.

I have a few questions, answers to which might benefit those considering trips to North Sulawesi (myself included).
  • If you live in the U.S., what itineraries and airlines (other than Singapore Airlines and SilkAir) have you used to fly to Manado that you bought all in one ticket and enabled you to check your baggage all the way through to Manado?

• If you have a special interest in muck diving and macro photography, which do you prefer, and why? Indonesia or the Philippines? Lembeh or Anilao?

• If you have been to both Bunaken and Bangka, which did you prefer, and why? How did the diving, dive operation, and facilities at Murex Manado compare to those at Murex Bangka?

• If you have been to both Bali and North Sulawesi, which did you prefer, and why?

I'd give Milne Bay PNG the Gold Star of the trio - I noticed a couple of weeks ago at Changi there are now direct flights to Port Moresby from Singapore.

I've always preferred Murex Bangka even in the pre aircon and cell phone reception days - Less divers not more is my preference. I think Lembeh is almost too crowded nowdays.

Always interesting to read a report from a fisrttimer, at least for regulars like me (about 7-8 times in N/Sulawesi) it brings a new perspective.

NAD Lembeh had a mixed crowd of Europeans, North Americans, and East Asians, whereas Bangka Murex appeared to be a resort for Germans. Suffice it to say that I had better chemistry with the mixed crowd at NAD Lembeh. As one would expect at a Lembeh resort, the crowd at NAD Lembeh consisted almost entirely of photographers, as everyone had at least a compact, if not a DSLR rig. Photography was clearly less of a priority at Murex Bangka.
Nope, Bangka is NOT german but clearly european, oz and SEA neighbors (Let's say non-american, in 6 times staying in Bangka I've seen many italians, swiss, dutch, french, oz, SEA divers, not so many german who prefer going to next door Blue Bay ) and some of us asked ti the management to keep it like it is, less pompeous than most Lembeh resorts, more feet in the sand feel, but to be honest I was disappointed with the direction Murex led Bangka after Dr.Batuna was gone.
Too expensive, too many bungalows, gringo instead of indo management, the original guides quit (thinking about Johnny and my friend Aswar), not too fun anymore.

That said I firmly believe Sahaung 2 is one of the topmost colorful sites in the world. I have proofs (check my Flickr Gallery).
Nuff said, here's the proof.

7181414129_72ff2c496f_z.jpg

I had considered Bali as an alternative to North Sulawesi, and it will probably be my next destination in Indonesia for its combination of muck diving and macro photography in the north and reef diving and big animals in the south. Whenever I return to North Sulawesi, Lembeh will still be the main attraction for me, and I will probably pair it with Bunaken instead of Bangka, in the interest of variety and given what appears to be the greater popularity of Bunaken.

Yes Bali is a very good alternative : a mix between Tulamben for muck and Padang Bai/Nusa Penida for blue water/big fish is a great combo for both wide angle and macro ops.
I don't recommend Bunaken, you'll be disappointed, Bangka is miles ahead for fish life. Bunaken topography is quite boring with just walls and corals taht are a few pars below Bangka.

Proof? Here you go with Bunaken style reefs:

16938679419_edacb09317_z.jpg

• If you have a special interest in muck diving and macro photography, which do you prefer, and why? Indonesia or the Philippines? Lembeh or Anilao?
  • If you have been to both Bunaken and Bangka, which did you prefer, and why? How did the diving, dive operation, and facilities at Murex Manado compare to those at Murex Bangka?
  • If you have been to both Bali and North Sulawesi, which did you prefer, and why?
I'll tell you my tops for macro in SEA, after diving the place for 19 years, 2-3 trips per year.
- Ambon is absolutely great for specific things, it smokes Lembeh on Rhinopias and it's the only place in the world for spotting the psychedelic frogfish. ExcelIent too for crustacea but I don't find it so good for nudis.
- Anilao is great for nightdives on Anilao Pier, which I consider the best macro nightdive anywhere. Also awesome for phyllodesmium of all kinds and rare nudis, very good for cephalopods too.
- I am sorry but I don't give Puerto Galera the full marks, because I think there's much better nearby in Anilao for macro and there is no flabbergasting coral dive except for Verde. Plus PG's environment really sucks with loads of cheapo dive centers and beer bellied expats looking for underage pilipinas.
- Tulamben in Bali is fantastic for the variety of nudibranches : they can be really tiny, I mean REALLY tiny.... but when you have a good freelance guide, you may find more nudis than anywhere cited in here. In some years rhinopias can abound in Bali, I've already counted 4 different individuals on one dive on Jetty in Padang Bai but that was 3 years ago.
- Alor is a perfect mix of wild blue dives and muck, it's highly seasonal but you will find rhinopias for sure and sometimes loads of rare nudis. But that said I think it's even a better wide angle area.
- Lembeh is good for behavior because it is so packed with so many critters tend to eat or chase everything nearby, however I don't like having so many boats and resorts around. It's commercial diving now .
- Dauin in the Philippines can be massive in season, you won't see the rarest critters but if your kick is frogfish of all kinds then in April you may see dozens of juvenile hairies, spotted or randalls within one dive, schools of ornate ghost pipefish... sometime sthe dives are completely crazy with numbers but I feel it lacks the rarity factor.
- there are other options such as newly opened Kalimaya in Sumbawa Indonesia, they dive macro critters on a very interesting area around Sangeang volcano, it's very similar to Tulamben, but it's a long way and may not be be worth for a full 10 days stay as there are not so many sites. I would only recommend it for seasoned divers in Indonesia.

On your question Bunaken or Bangka : Bangka everytime, for Sahaung, for the loads of Pontohi or Severnsi pygmy seahorses.
Bali or N/Sulawesi : my answer is more what you will be coupling with : I would go N/Sulawesi after Raja Ampat and dive Bali after Komodo or Alor.

But yeah WIngy is right, if you think out of the box which would be the best macro/wide angle combo then Tawali in Milne bay comes at the top.
Check out the proofs in my Flickr gallery. :D

@Ironborn great report, it's always interesting to hear a new perspective. The PI was your initiation to the Coral Triangle, I'm glad you've returned. You have started what could be an overwhelming need to return. Indonesia has now sung it's siren call to you and you will now be doing your best to dive there whenever possible.

In regards to your question of Lembeh Vs Anilao I love both, have been to both 3x. Can't go wrong with either. Sometimes it's a matter of season or time. Anilao is quicker to get to than Lembeh.

Regarding Bali Vs NS, again I've been to both 3x. Can't go wrong with either. Bali has more accesable topside than in NS since in NS you are more isolated at your resort.

@Wingy there you go again dangling PNG in front of me. Gawd I got to get there soon.

@Luko nice opus, a great summation of locations.

I'd give Milne Bay PNG the Gold Star of the trio - I noticed a couple of weeks ago at Changi there are now direct flights to Port Moresby from Singapore.

I've always preferred Murex Bangka even in the pre aircon and cell phone reception days - Less divers not more is my preference. I think Lembeh is almost too crowded nowdays.

I have heard about Milne Bay but have not seen much in the way of specific details about it. What do you find so appealing about it?

NAD Lembeh's 2:1 guide:diver ratio was a strong selling point for me, so it did not feel especially crowded for me, except when a group from another dive resort "crashed" one or two of our night dives. I almost ended up following them (or their torches) instead of our guide in the darkness. Other than those instances, Lembeh did not strike me as any more or any less crowded than other popular dive destinations.

Always interesting to read a report from a fisrttimer, at least for regulars like me (about 7-8 times in N/Sulawesi) it brings a new perspective.

Nope, Bangka is NOT german but clearly european, oz and SEA neighbors (Let's say non-american, in 6 times staying in Bangka I've seen many italians, swiss, dutch, french, oz, SEA divers, not so many german who prefer going to next door Blue Bay ) and some of us asked ti the management to keep it like it is, less pompeous than most Lembeh resorts, more feet in the sand feel, but to be honest I was disappointed with the direction Murex led Bangka after Dr.Batuna was gone.
Too expensive, too many bungalows, gringo instead of indo management, the original guides quit (thinking about Johnny and my friend Aswar), not too fun anymore.

That said I firmly believe Sahaung 2 is one of the topmost colorful sites in the world. I have proofs (check my Flickr Gallery).
Nuff said, here's the proof.

View attachment 494802

Yes Bali is a very good alternative : a mix between Tulamben for muck and Padang Bai/Nusa Penida for blue water/big fish is a great combo for both wide angle and macro ops.
I don't recommend Bunaken, you'll be disappointed, Bangka is miles ahead for fish life. Bunaken topography is quite boring with just walls and corals taht are a few pars below Bangka.

Proof? Here you go with Bunaken style reefs:

View attachment 494803

I'll tell you my tops for macro in SEA, after diving the place for 19 years, 2-3 trips per year.
- Ambon is absolutely great for specific things, it smokes Lembeh on Rhinopias and it's the only place in the world for spotting the psychedelic frogfish. ExcelIent too for crustacea but I don't find it so good for nudis.
- Anilao is great for nightdives on Anilao Pier, which I consider the best macro nightdive anywhere. Also awesome for phyllodesmium of all kinds and rare nudis, very good for cephalopods too.
- I am sorry but I don't give Puerto Galera the full marks, because I think there's much better nearby in Anilao for macro and there is no flabbergasting coral dive except for Verde. Plus PG's environment really sucks with loads of cheapo dive centers and beer bellied expats looking for underage pilipinas.
- Tulamben in Bali is fantastic for the variety of nudibranches : they can be really tiny, I mean REALLY tiny.... but when you have a good freelance guide, you may find more nudis than anywhere cited in here. In some years rhinopias can abound in Bali, I've already counted 4 different individuals on one dive on Jetty in Padang Bai but that was 3 years ago.
- Alor is a perfect mix of wild blue dives and muck, it's highly seasonal but you will find rhinopias for sure and sometimes loads of rare nudis. But that said I think it's even a better wide angle area.
- Lembeh is good for behavior because it is so packed with so many critters tend to eat or chase everything nearby, however I don't like having so many boats and resorts around. It's commercial diving now .
- Dauin in the Philippines can be massive in season, you won't see the rarest critters but if your kick is frogfish of all kinds then in April you may see dozens of juvenile hairies, spotted or randalls within one dive, schools of ornate ghost pipefish... sometime sthe dives are completely crazy with numbers but I feel it lacks the rarity factor.
- there are other options such as newly opened Kalimaya in Sumbawa Indonesia, they dive macro critters on a very interesting area around Sangeang volcano, it's very similar to Tulamben, but it's a long way and may not be be worth for a full 10 days stay as there are not so many sites. I would only recommend it for seasoned divers in Indonesia.

On your question Bunaken or Bangka : Bangka everytime, for Sahaung, for the loads of Pontohi or Severnsi pygmy seahorses.
Bali or N/Sulawesi : my answer is more what you will be coupling with : I would go N/Sulawesi after Raja Ampat and dive Bali after Komodo or Alor.

But yeah WIngy is right, if you think out of the box which would be the best macro/wide angle combo then Tawali in Milne bay comes at the top.
Check out the proofs in my Flickr gallery. :D

Thank you for your feedback. Your answers further persuaded me that I was right to choose Bankga over Bunaken, and that Bali should be my next destination in Indonesia. I would also agree that Sahaung is a spectacular pinnacle, as it was one of the highlights of Bangka for me.

I would agree with you that the animal behavior in Lembeh was one of the more noteworthy aspects of the experience, rather than the specific species that one might encounter. Other than the predatory behavior that you mentioned, one behavior that I saw frequently was the animals' use of garbage for shelter and protection. Below are some examples, such as: blennys and coconut octopi living in bottles and pipes; a blue-ringed octopus living in a woman's shoe; and a decorator crab carrying half of a can on its back. There were definitely some other behavioral quirks, such as the frequency with which the coconut and long-armed octopi seemed to be very curious about my camera, to the point of reaching out and touching it. One of the coconut octopi even tried to steal my macro lens and started chasing me as I finned backwards; perhaps he wanted to use my lens as a transparent part of his shelter. Another highlight for me was the cleaner shrimp that started cleaning the hydroid sting on my hand when I was trying to shoot some porcelain crabs on their shared anemone.

Paul on Instagram: “A coconut octopus living inside a pipe and a shell, Lembeh Strait, North Sulawesi, Indonesia. From a dive with @nadlembeh. #scuba #diving…”
Paul on Instagram: “A blue-ringed octopus on a woman’s shoe, Lembeh Strait, North Sulawesi, Indonesia. From a dive with @nadlembeh. #scuba #diving…”
Paul on Instagram: “A coconut octopus living in a bottle, Lembeh Strait, North Sulawesi, Indonesia. From a dive with @nadlembeh. #scuba #diving #scubadiving…”
Paul on Instagram: “A coconut octopus living in a plastic bottle, Lembeh Strait, North Sulawesi, Indonesia. From a dive with @nadlembeh. #scuba #diving…”
Paul on Instagram: “A coconut octopus living in broken glass, Lembeh Strait, North Sulawesi, Indonesia. From a dive with @nadlembeh. #scuba #diving…”
Paul on Instagram: “Decorator crab with a can on its back, Lembeh Strait, North Sulawesi, Indonesia. From a dive with @nadlembeh. #scuba #diving #scubadiving…”
Paul on Instagram: “A blenny in a bottle, Lembeh Strait, North Sulawesi, Indonesia. From a dive with @nadlembeh. #scuba #diving #scubadiving #photography…”
Paul on Instagram: “A blenny in a bottle, Lembeh Strait, North Sulawesi, Indonesia. From a dive with @nadlembeh. #scuba #diving #scubadiving #photography…”
Paul on Instagram: “A long-armed octopus reaching for my camera, Lembeh Strait, North Sulawesi, Indonesia. #scuba #diving #scubadiving #paditv #photography…”
Paul on Instagram: “A long-armed octopus reaching for my camera, Lembeh Strait. North Sulawesi, Indonesia. #scuba #diving #scubadiving #paditv #photography…”
Paul on Instagram: “A cleaner shrimp cleaning my hand, Lembeh Strait, North Sulawesi, Indonesia. From a dive with @nadlembeh. I was shooting a porcelain crab…”

As for the other destinations that you mentioned - I tend to focus on overall experiences, rather than specific species or types of animals. The way I see it, if you go all that way to look for say, a hairy octopus in Lembeh or a psychedelic frogfish in Ambon, there is a significant risk of being disappointed if those wild animals do not appear during one's trip. For example, I have a special interest in night dives, which is probably why I liked Anilao so much; I would agree that night dives there are truly spectacular - not for specific nocturnal species, but for the enormous number and variety of interesting animals in general that one sees at night there.

As for the crowd and the atmosphere at Bangka: perhaps my time there was unusual, but almost all the other guests and the foreign manager were German-speakers, except for a French couple and for a trio of Americans that arrived on my last day. The other guests addressed me in German until they learned that I was American, and even some of the Indonesian staff addressed me in German until they realized that I did not understand them. So I got the impression that the resort caters largely to German-speakers.

I would agree that Murex Bangka is expensive for the "toes in the sand" type of environment that it provides, which is not my personal preference anyway. I was more comfortable in the more upscale terrestrial environment of NAD Lembeh. Different strokes for different folks.

@Ironborn great report, it's always interesting to hear a new perspective. The PI was your initiation to the Coral Triangle, I'm glad you've returned. You have started what could be an overwhelming need to return. Indonesia has now sung it's siren call to you and you will now be doing your best to dive there whenever possible.

In regards to your question of Lembeh Vs Anilao I love both, have been to both 3x. Can't go wrong with either. Sometimes it's a matter of season or time. Anilao is quicker to get to than Lembeh.

Regarding Bali Vs NS, again I've been to both 3x. Can't go wrong with either. Bali has more accesable topside than in NS since in NS you are more isolated at your resort.

@Wingy there you go again dangling PNG in front of me. Gawd I got to get there soon.

@Luko nice opus, a great summation of locations.

Thank you for the positive feedback. I see that you live in California. How have you been getting to North Sulawesi?

Generally With China Air thru Tapei. Then to Jakarta or Bali, then Manado. Flying to Manilla is about 3 hours shorter than Bali, more than that to Jakarta. Then you have layover in Jakarta to get to Manado. Basically I get another day of diving in and less flight cost going to Anilao then Indo. But I love them both.

Welcome to the Indo thread @Ironborn!!!
Thanks for the in depth reports and comparisons. Always interesting to read others perspectives and experiences.

I pretty much agree with everything said above...with the one glaring anomaly which is your experience with Sing Air. I have been living in Singapore for a decade and have been on countless flights with both Sing Air and Silk Air. And I am really struggling to think of a single bad experience!! In fact I just returned back from South Africa on Sing Air and as usual it was smooth as silk!! So it really sucks that you had such a bad experience, but it really is an exception to the norm (well at least my norm).
Heck they just received the best Airline award for 2019 ( The 2019 List Of The World's Best Airlines Is Out Now ).

I think Luko's thesis pretty much answers your questions...
The only location not mentioned (because you were mainly talking macro oriented places) is obviously Raja Ampat...which although is mostly WA and reef/ fish, but is still some of the best diving in Indo full stop.

Once the Indo bug bites, you are infected for life!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom