North Coast dive sites?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gombessa

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey all,

I'm trying to do a little research for my first dive in the North Coast this weekend. I'll be around the Jenner area with some friends. Just looking for some relaxing recreational dives, and easy access and protection from those NW swells is a big plus :)

So far, it seems like Stillwater Cove and Gerstle Cove (one site says Gerstle's at Salt Point, another says it's Ft. Ross) are good. Anyone have recommendations for either, or other sites, or any general tips on North Coast diving? One of us will likely go ab diving as well, so if we can hit both in one location (we'll keep the scuba completely separate from the ab diving) that'd be a plus.

Thanks!

Gerstle Cove is in Salt Point State Park and it is a marine reserve within the cove. It is also a popular ab diving site but you have to take game outside the boundary of the reserve. Ft Ross is about a 10 minute drive south of Salt Point and is good diving also, plus there is a wreck in the west cove.

I'll be in Ocean Cove this weekend, Fri-Sun. If you swing by Ocean Cove, we will probably pass by each other at some point. My cousin is getting his openwater cert this weekend up there so I'll be hanging around with his openwater class (plus extra skill practice for me!).

A couple of tips...

-bring everything you need: tanks, food, drink. Shops and eateries are sparse and far apart. Make sure to gas up in Bodega...

-tell the ones at home not to worry if they cannot reach you on the cell phone... coverage is spotty (some providers are better some worse)

-watch your speed.... with a cliff on one side and a hillside on the other... limited shoulders and dodging rockslides, deer, and sometimes cows it's not wise to go fast around the sharp curves...

I'm sure the other guys will add some more... enjoy yourself out there... it's a real nice drive

Anne and I are coming up Saturday. We are thinking Ft Ross, so might see you Peter.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom