North Carolina Vacation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Went to Moorehead this past weekend and stayed at the comfort inn. Nice place for 125.00 night. Too bad the sea were so rough the boats did not go out. Going back in a few weeks.

DM’s or guides are not provided, you are on your own.

Aquatic Safaris in Wilmington will provide a guide or DM if you arrange (pay for) it. I found this well worth the fee, as my buddy was newly certified, and I had not been wet for a few years.

I am new to the board, and enjoyed reading the forums. I am glad I decided to 'dive' back into this sport after a period of not diving.

From first hand accounts,how is the diving in Moorehead? I'm AOW certification.

Do you mean in general, this weekend, on average?

NC constantly ranks near the top in diver surveys for best wreck diving and big animal encounters (Sand Tiger Sharks). You're doing yourself a disservice if you live in the region and don't dive off the NC coast.

It's not all peaches and cream...the best dives are at the deeper end of rec limits, the boat rides are long, and the weather doesn't always cooperate. Still, when it all comes together, there's nothing like it that I have found.

A California diver does North Carolina - lions & tigers, oh my!

Rich

Rich, thanks a bunch. Your right in that there is no excuse in me for not diving what maybe considered my neck of the woods. I think I'll get off my duff and check it out. Many thanks man.

Rich is absolutely right on there. N.C. diving is top notch.
I take a 5 hour ride (each way) to dive Wilmington, 4 hours for Morehead City, but I prefer Wilmington.
Hopefully if the weather cooperates I will be diving Cape Hatteras this weekend.

Agreed. I've driven five hours each way in one day to spend two hours diving off NC (my home state). Wouldn't recommend doing that, but definitely go there for the diving.

Cheers,
Lilla

Agreed. I've driven five hours each way in one day to spend two hours diving off NC (my home state). Wouldn't recommend doing that, but definitely go there for the diving.

Cheers,
Lilla

Thats definitely hard core & I hate to say I've done it to Morehead City for inshore stuff, but when I go to Wilmington its for the deeper stuff so 2 hours is normally just the boat ride to the site.
But I do dive & drive home that night, getting up at 6am & home that night by 10pm.
What a day, but worth it.

Yeah, it was a bit much, probably won't be doing that again. But now my brother has a long term rental near Morehead, so whoo hoo! When I said two hours I meant in the water (or less depending on depth), doesn't include the ride out, SI, or ride back. All of my NC diving has been out of Wilmington. Long boat rides but definitely worth it.

Cheers,
Lilla

Back
Top Bottom