Norte, Norte...PLEASE go away!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There are a few advantages to Northern living. I just got off the phone after making plans to go skiing tomorrow. (That may not seem like an advantage to Coz people.)

Harro10:
There are a few advantages to Northern living. I just got off the phone after making plans to go skiing tomorrow. (That may not seem like an advantage to Coz people.)

Now THAT makes me green with envy :wink:

I haven't been skiing in 4 years. EVERY year since I've moved here I say I 'm not going to miss it another year. I used to go skiing about every other weekend or every three weekends. Quick easy flights from Austin to Salt Lake and flight privledges were a great thing!

Diving... umm not so much...

I'm certainly wanting to be tropical during winter at times, and COZ is my dream diving destination (or one of them), but I WILL be putting in turns AGAIN in the next couple weeks....

Nothing like the snow in CO where the powder is so light, one can NOT even make a snowball!!!

Ron

Christi:
Now THAT makes me green with envy :wink:

I haven't been skiing in 3 years. EVERY year since I've moved here I say I 'm not going to miss it another year. I used to go skiing about every other weekend or every three weekends. Quick easy flights from Austin to Salt Lake and flight privledges were a great thing!

RonFrank:
Diving... umm not so much...

I'm certainly wanting to be tropical during winter at times, and COZ is my dream diving destination (or one of them), but I WILL be putting in turns AGAIN in the next couple weeks....

Nothing like the snow in CO where the powder is so light, one can NOT even make a snowball!!!

Ron

I learned to ski in Vail, but am partial to Utah skiing and snow now :wink:

It must be hell for business. I thought it was bad between Christmas and New Years. I was with Troy and we wore jackets and touques.(trust Canadians eh :) )

Ron

But....sure beats the snow storm outside my place to-day.

Christi:
Day FOUR and it's worse today than
yesterday...and COLD :ice: If it's in the 60's here, I know you all must be freezing in the US.

Port is closed to all boats under 40' and all aquatic activities are suspended.

Today HAS to be the last day of this nonsense. It looks like :lightingz which is good...a good heavy rain usually calms the winds down.

Send us some good weather will ya? :wink:

Ron Brandt:
It must be hell for business. I thought it was bad between Christmas and New Years. I was with Troy and we wore jackets and touques.(trust Canadians eh :) )
Yep, certainly no fun. And some people actually get MAD at the dive ops (none of my customers) for not getting to dive. TRUST me, it hurts us just as bad if not worse.

Good news is, wind is light today, port is open like normal, but it is still very chilly here.

Christi:
Day FOUR and it's worse today than yesterday...and COLD :ice: If it's in the 60's here, I know you all must be freezing in the US.
Send us some good weather will ya? :wink:
Portland yesterday had a record high of 66 degrees, and it's supposed to be 67 today. They're saying this is the warmest January on record since 1894. That's really weird since the entire city was shut down with freezing rain 3 days ago.

I'd still rather be in Cozumel :)

Jerry

Christi:
Yep, certainly no fun. And some people actually get MAD at the dive ops (none of my customers) for not getting to dive. TRUST me, it hurts us just as bad if not worse.

Good news is, wind is light today, port is open like normal, but it is still very chilly here.

I had sent two people to Troy for Christmas Day to do a DSD and a dive,they came over from Playa. They were not impressed when we had to explain the Norte (they did not understand the conditions). They eventually dove in Playa.

Ronnie

Ron Brandt:
I had sent two people to Troy for Christmas Day to do a DSD and a dive,they came over from Playa. They were not impressed when we had to explain the Norte (they did not understand the conditions). They eventually dove in Playa.

Ronnie

Kind of off subject, but speaking of people who don't understand conditions/rules/policies, etc. (this is a vent by the way)...

I just got a call from a guy wanting to dive this afternoon.

I was actually on an international phone call with a customer when he called the first two times (right in a row)...i let the voice mail pick-it up. He then called on my cell phone...TWICE. I didn't recognize the number, so I thought maybe it was my crew with an emergency, so I answered it.

"Hi, me and my girlfirend are here at Playa Azul and we want to go diving this afternoon and we want to go to the Eagle Rays. I'm a certified diver, but my girlfriend isn't...but she's experienced. She did a resort course at the cenotes yesterday. We're flying out tomorrow afternoon."

I told him I didn't have availability this afternoon and that it is usually necessary to make reservations in advance during high season. He asked if I had any recommendations...I told him I was on an international phone call and before I could finish telling him that I would be happy to call him back...he said "Well thanks for NOT helping...and hung up! OK, are we 12 years old?

I called him back (he had left a message) to give him some recommendations (and advice about flying after diving)...as his girlfriend was passing him the phone she said..."it's that girl you hung up on...she's mad at you!" I said never mind, have a great day...and hung up!

Where do these people come from? Give me a break!!!!

I won't even get into the fact that they are trying to dive the afternoon before flying, that he thinks his girlfriend is experienced after a one dive resort course, not to mention that it was in an overhead environment, that NO ONE will take them to the Eagle Ray dive in a norte and without diving a few days first AND only for advanced divers...certainly not a non-certified diver...no reservations, and that he was RUDE!

Sorry for getting off subject...people just floor me sometimes!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom