Norris Tanks (Sport Chalet)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tau:
Is it possible to tell the difference by looking at it? I mean sprayed verses hot dipped? :06:

Yes, they do look different. Not sure the best way to describe it, but if you look at a bunch of hot-dip tanks you'll get a good idea of how they're supposed to look.

A hot-dip tank looks like a solid piece of zinc; sprayed tanks have a distinct "painted" look.

Once you have seen both side by side, i.e. a Hot-Dipped next to a flame sprayed tank, it's pretty easy to tell them apart.

Often a flame sprayed surface will be "grainer", rougher, than a hot-dipped. Hot dip is not super-smooth, think chain link fence, but flame sprayed is pretty grippy.

In my experience flame sprayed ferris surfaces perform pretty well. Properly prepared steel surfaces bond quite well to the zinc.

Many here will report good results with ZRC, i.e. cold zinc spray paint. It's not hard to see where hot molten zinc sprayed on would work well too.

Tobin

The only info I can find is what is on the pro-deal form SC sent out:
For the LP80:
82.4 cubic ft. @ 3000psi
-8.9 lbs. full/ -2.9 lbs. empty
length 22.35 inches

It's a heavy little sucker but I don't know the exact weight.

Thumbs down on the 7/8" neck. No one else makes it anymore - I guess it doesn't matter if you know it's going to be a single tank dives forever - but these tanks (being HP) aren't going to cut it for the double tank tank diver. Weak.

As many of you have noted I was mistaken about my earlier statements about the history of Norris tanks. I happily stand corrected. I became aware of my shortcoming shortly after I made my original post but a sudden and quite unwelcomed attack of appendicitis kept me on my back in the hospital for the last few days.

Tobin, yes I am in So Cal and I was planning on looking you up in the next few weeks.

But I do stand by my comments about the finish on the tanks I saw at Sport Chalet, not as good as the (older) Genesis tanks I have seen.

Mark Vlahos

Mark Vlahos:
a sudden and quite unwelcomed attack of appendicitis kept me on my back in the hospital for the last few days.

Mark,

Hope you are on the mend, yikes that sounds painful. Kinda hard to imagine a welcome attack of appendicitis.

Take care,

Tobin

Mark Vlahos:
As many of you have noted I was mistaken about my earlier statements about the history of Norris tanks. I happily stand corrected. I became aware of my shortcoming shortly after I made my original post but a sudden and quite unwelcomed attack of appendicitis kept me on my back in the hospital for the last few days.

Tobin, yes I am in So Cal and I was planning on looking you up in the next few weeks.

But I do stand by my comments about the finish on the tanks I saw at Sport Chalet, not as good as the (older) Genesis tanks I have seen.

Mark Vlahos

Yikes Mark! Hope you're doing better! Now you just need to think up a good story to go with your scar!

Fortunately the operation was able to be done laproscopically as my appendix had not yet burst so I only have 3 small incisions.

As far as my interjection of a small amount of humor... If we loose our sense of whimsy we are close to loosing all hope. If I can't make fun of myself then who else has the right.

I am feeling better bit it will be some time before I am able to work or dive.

Mark Vlahos

As a guy that waited 11 months for delivery of his PST E7-100's last year. I'm happy to read all the discussions on the steel tank competition.

Albeit, PST had its problems with moving and the steel supply, they really were not consumer responsive and ticked a lot of LDS owners and customers.

If Norris and Worthington can join Faber in the market and give PST a run, great! Maybe the prices will reflect the heat of competition.

I did it!!! I bought the Norris hp80. Did my first dive with it this weekend. I was very pleased with it.

Thank you all for your imput.

Back
Top Bottom