Normal Mares Volo vs volo power

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

you can frog kick a volo, but after you try jets, or turtles, you'd never go back.

I have the volo's sitting in the basement, and won't be using them anymore. Just couldn't get enough power out of them. Very little effort to put along and flutter kick, but that doesnt suit my diving anymore. I frog kick, and sometimes against heavy current, and they just didn't cut it. I wear turtles now as the jets don't fit.

The Volo power DO have a bigger surface area than the original volos, Put one on top of the other and see for yourself.

The pivot is unchanged and the blades are just as flexable as the originals.

I am absoulutly gobsmacked that somebody uses quattros for wet and volos for dry, I and a lot of others on this board do it the other way round.

Frog kicking in volos is very hard, the pivot soaks up all the energy with this style of kick, Its not impossble put is inefficant.

Crease, if you have strong legs, why are you even considering the Volos? You will likely find them too soft, either the original Volos or the new version. The advantage of the Volos is that they will propel you approx. the same distance with less effort than "traditional" full bladed fins.

Have you considered the Quattros? Sounds like you'd be able to take full advantage of the Quattros' power.

Scubagirl 15 is right on the mark. Quattros are far better in a current than volos, either of them. Also far better for frog kicks.

I was on a dive in the maldives called Hakura Express, I had taken the original Volos to the maldives, The current was very strong and I was struggling, wish I had the Quttros with me :wink:

The volos were fantastic on the divers inside the Atoll very comfortable (we were going at a very lazy pace :D )

But if you find quattros comfy and your legs are up to it dump the volos and go for the quattros.

I have to say it is a matter of personal preference....I just got some volo powers becuase no other fin would fit My DUI rock Boot system....I have found them to be comfortable and able to provide me with more that adequate power even in strong current...

I recommend trying them for yourself....borrow some from a dive buddy, see if your LDS has a pair in rental stock...don't take other people word for it. try it yourself....only you know what works for you.....you may love em, you may hate, but don't let other people hate/love em for you.

RIDIVER501:
I just got some volo powers becuase no other fin would fit My DUI rock Boot system

You ever try XXL jets?

I'm seeing a lot of Volo's out there lately. I use the Volo Powers and they are great for diving in the NE USA. RIDIVER's on the money, try then buy. Everyone is different. My dive buddy uses Jets and swears by them, but I usually have more energy left when the dive is over.

Thanks SN. I always try to tell people to try before they Buy.
As an instructor I often have people who just want to get a carbon copy of what I have...What I have I have becuase it works for me...If it works for you great. If not you just wasted a lot of money. So I recommend you get what works for you.

Top two reason why divers stop diving.
1. can't find a buddy.
2. hate their equipment and so wearing it becomes a pain.

My wife and I both have volos. They are real easy on our legs, but they are no good against any kind of current.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom