Normal Mares Volo vs volo power

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

crease123

Registered
Reaction score
Is there alot of difference between these 2 fins, other than the straps adjustment. I heard normal volo isnt that good against currents, and volo power is supposed to change that. Any truth to that?

crease123:
Is there alot of difference between these 2 fins, other than the straps adjustment. I heard normal volo isnt that good against currents, and volo power is supposed to change that. Any truth to that?

I,ve got the original volos and they are poor against currents, Mrs Mares has the new power version, unfortunately I have'nt tried them yet.
There is no difference in the straps :11:
The big differece is the surface area, They are bigger, and the channels are longer. :wink:

Thanks mr. mares. Anyone else with an opinion? Is the normal volo really that poor against currents? Does the power series solves that?

I guess you should get the fins with the steel springs instead of the straps. Makes it really easy to put on and take off.

ahh ic, the question I wanna ask is, is the mares volo power/race design much better against currents when compared to the original volo?

Crease,
I prefer the performance of the the Volo Power much better than the original Volos. Volo Power is stiffer compared to Volo. I also thought the Power delivers better thrust with the frog kick versus the flutter kick.

The total surface area is not different between the two, it's the ratio of the soft material used in the channels versus the stiffer material in the main blade itself. In the Volo Power, there's more of the stiff material compared to the original Volo. The original Volo's were much too soft if your leg muscles had any appreciable power to begin with.

Having said that, I dive with the Volo Power only with my dry suit: my leg muscles couldn't cope with the increased drag from my nylon shell drysuit without the assistance of the Volo Power fins. When diving wet, I still swear by Mares' Quattro Pro: stiff enough to deliver good power, but flexible enough to deliver manoevreability, almost neutrally buoyant, so there's no issue with either floaty or heavy feet.

Hope this helps.

Ok thanks alot guys. Im only asking this cos I need some help in making a decision. Currently I got two options for a fin

1) An used pair of original mares volo $100. Used about 60-70 dives, strap broke off once but fixed. The open-heel design is nice, as I dont mind wearing booties which will come in handy when doing beach dives and so on. Although I dive in mainly, if not all, warm waters...the option to use it in cold waters as well doesnt hurt. However, I heard the original volos are susceptibile to breaking at the hinge, and are poor against current and beging too 'soft'.

2) A brand new pair of Mares race for $110. The full foot design isn't something I mind, considering all the dives (about 20) I've done so far are wearing full-foots. An additional plus will be cos it does have the same design as the power volo(right?), and I think its better when against current. Also, as I have considerable strong legs, I would really do with the added stiffness of the race volo.

So which one of these 2 will you choose? A major concern is whether the race is significantly better than the original when swiming against currents.

Right off the bat I can tell you that $100 is too much to pay for used open heel volo originals. They are only $95 brand new from Leisure Pro. You can find them used for slightly less on Ebay.

I have the the original volo. I like them ... they're comfortable and I don't cramp. But I'm a new diver and have little to compare them to. I'm trying to frog kick more and attribute my limited success thus far to poor technique, not to the fin. But who knows? Maybe I'll borrow a stiffer fin and have a eureka moment.

As for the Race style... It's less a question of performance and more of whether you think you'll ever want to wear boots.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom