Norcal Newbie question.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Drew nailed it: best to return rental gear in the same condition (clean) that it was in when you picked it up from the shop. Some shops do have rinse tanks, but as someone pointed out, it's better to rinse gear sooner after your dive than later when you return it. Plus, the gear bag you carry the gear in is all sandy and salty too.

There is nothing wrong with charging a reasonable fee, but it does not take more than half an hour to rinse gear. So anything more than a half hours labor is a rip off! of course gear needs to be cleaned and it is up to the customer. Sounds like this particular dive shop left out some verbiage.

Thank you for all of your support and feedback. You guys are awesome.

Sounds like I had a reason to be upset about the charge.

They said the gear had to be dunked in soapy water. We asked several times if we could wash the gear ourselves. The shop said we couldn't use their tanks because of a "liability issue."

Although looking at their website they do say "Gear must be returned washed with soap and water or a $25 service fee will be charged. You are welcome to wash your gear here if needed. If it smells like fish and seaweed when you get back, we will ask you to wash it again or pay the fee."

I just want to work out these kinks before we go again. It can be a little intimidating to a new diver. My dive partner and I own our own wet suits, but probably won't be buying all the gear for a bit. I just want to concentrate on other things so we can dive and have Fun!

neas,

Welcome to ScubaBoard!

Based on your post of the statement from their website you'd be reasonable to talk with a manager about getting a refund of the cleaning fee. If that conversation went poorly, I'd be inclined to take my business elsewhere.

But as others have noted, not all shops have rinse tanks available. I suspect it comes down to how close they are to the dive sites. As the salty gear dries, the salt crystals begin to cause damage -- especially to neoprene. It's best to not let the gear dry until it is rinsed. If a shop expects you to return the gear the same day you rent it (as is often the case in Monterey), then they probably have a place for you to clean it. But, if most of their rentals get returned a day or two later (as is the case in the Bay Area), then they probably expect you to clean shortly after your dive. Probably it's best to ask when renting (or even reserving) the gear.

Also, their requirement that you clean in soapy water may be unusual. If I recall correctly, the shops I've rented from say not to do that -- fresh water only. I'm not sure soaking a reg set in soapy water is good for it.

The shop said we couldn't use their tanks because of a "liability issue."

huh? That's a lame one.

Diving in Monterey spoils you for most other dive shop locations. I really appreciate the services they provide... and they have all been super cool and laid back about everything. You need to rinse gear, no prob... change... no prob... hang up your wetsuit... no problem..

Diving up here on the North Coast, I don't rely on any dive shop to help me out. That said, my best experiences up here have been Bodega Bay Pro Dive and the Petaluma Sport Dive Shop. Very laid back folks on both accouts. I'm all albout laid back dive shops... As a matter of fact, the Aquarius on Del Monte has a big dog hanging around that will come and say hi if you fill your tank and wash your suit. The dog really sets the tone for the atmosphere... and I think there might be a cat there too. Bamboo Reef on Lighthouse even puts soap in their wash bin! How cool is that?

Today the Owner/manager of the shop refunded the cleaning fee! and said that we are welcome to dunk our gear at the shop in the future. The clerk had it wrong.

:)

Today the Owner/manager of the shop refunded the cleaning fee! and said that we are welcome to dunk our gear at the shop in the future. The clerk had it wrong.

:)

Cool!

Posted via Mobile Device

Glad to hear it.

I know many of them lurk here and keep a low profile but try to keep their finger on the pulse of the diving community here in Nor Cal.

You guys set the tone... such an intellegent group!

I think it's always appropriate to return gear clean, and the shop charging a reasonable fee for having to clean salty or dirty gear is also within reason. But it's curious to me that they specify that they want it washed in soapy water.

Salt is 100% soluble in fresh water, and a good dunk or thorough rinse with hose is all that's needed to get the salt and sand off. 'Soapy water' could be defined by some as a bucket with a teaspoon or so of wetsuit shampoo, or a bucket filled with bleach and car wash soap, which would definitely shorten the life of the gear and possibly discolor it as well. If I ran a shop, I'd probably make it clear that a thorough rinse is what's needed.

The shop saying it's a liability issue to let you use their tanks - now that sounds a bit fishy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom