NorCal Diver needs some quick advice (dive buddy?) in SoCal

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

thebrain

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi everybody,
I am traveling to Los Angeles area tomorrow and was wondering if anybody could help me out in finding some beach diving on Friday, the morning of the 3rd. I would love to go diving with a Scubaboarder (or their friend), but I know this is late notice. I am a fairly experienced diver, about 70 dives, the majority of which have been in cold water (Monterey area mostly). If it is of any importance, I will be side mount diving with a razor.

As a gesture of my gratitude, I would be happy to buy your air fills.

If no one can go diving, can anyone recommend a good dive shop where I might be able to find a dive guide to go with?

Thanks everyone for your help.

For a dive shop try Ocean Adventures in Venice, Malibu Divers in Malibu or PCH in Agoura Hills. One of them should be able to set you up with a dive master. for tomorrow. The swell model and surfline are predicting flat. I would try Leo Carillo in Malibu as the visibility has been quite good there and the water temp has been 57 degrees. I am, unfortunately, not available tomorrow.

South Coast divers dives out of Laguna Beach on many Saturdays. Conditions look good in most places.

Not sure if you are around on the weekend as well but Redondo Beach Vets park has a few nice groups Saturday at 0800.
Sunday out at Palos Verdes, Terrenea resort 0800 with DiveVets.
Another option might be taking the Catalina Express out of either San Pedro or Long Beach to Avalon and dive the park.
There is always someone to dive with on the weekend, and probably a good chance on Friday as well in Avalon.
Wish I could make it, but alas head cold from hell has it gripes on me.
Oh, I just remembered something, the boat the Magician located in San Pedro, has an open boat this Friday. Great vessel, good food, 3-tank dive, nitrox, and good price.
Hope you get to dive, I've heard VIS has been very good.

Thanks for all the great info everybody. The Magician is indeed a good idea, but I think I am going to do one of club dives of Saturday. Does anyone know the best way to contact these dive clubs?

---------- Post added January 2nd, 2014 at 07:10 PM ----------

Just to kicks, how long does a 3 tank Catalina trip take (aka when do you get back to the mainland?)

I can only speak for the diveVets group. You can check out their website, divevets.com. Best way is just show up Saturday morning in the parking lot next to Redondo Beach pier, lots of quarters for the meters there. You will see several cars with lots of divers, just introduce yourself, new folks always welcome.
If you are talking about a 3-tank charter boat dive as opposed to using the Catalina express and diving the park, then:
A typical 3-tank dive aboard the Magician you would board between say 0600 to 0645 (departs at 0700), first dive maybe 0900, second dive before lunch around 1100, third dive maybe 1300 or 1330, back to San Pedro at 1700.
So close to 2 hour trip each way. At least an hour SI. And your BT will vary on, of course your depth and SAC.
I think the sundiver express out of long beach does a 2-tank catalina dive. The boat is smaller, but fast ( 1hour) and can have you back before 1300 for their morning trip.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom