Noobish BPW assembly question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Another vote for using tri-glides and I spent a little while filing the slot edges on my plate so the primary source of harness wear is gone.

At the risk of the purists out there chanting "Burn the witch!", I have gone a slightly different direction, but one which allows for almost infinite adjustability.

I have looped a short (12-18 inches or so) piece of webbing with a D-Ring through the hip openings on my BP and then secured that with a keeper. Then, I threaded the harness through the D-Ring. I can pull it as snug as I want (or keep it loose) and at the end of the dive, I can loosen it to get out of it almost as easy as "popping the latch" on the shoulder strap of a traditional BCD. I have also threaded (Hog) weight pockets onto these loops.

Attachments

• _DSC1241.jpeg
    _DSC1241.jpeg
    127.4 KB · Views: 77
  • _DSC2279.jpg
    _DSC2279.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 66
  • _DSC2284.jpg
    _DSC2284.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 68
  • Adjustable BP:W.jpg
    Adjustable BP:W.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 59
Or you could join the shiny! side and sign up for one of Eric's plates. The slots are angled such that the webbing slides, and I do use tri-glides to keep it from going too tight.

At the risk of the purists out there chanting "Burn the witch!", I have gone a slightly different direction, but one which allows for almost infinite adjustability.

I have looped a short (12-18 inches or so) piece of webbing with a D-Ring through the hip openings on my BP and then secured that with a keeper. Then, I threaded the harness through the D-Ring. I can pull it as snug as I want (or keep it loose) and at the end of the dive, I can loosen it to get out of it almost as easy as "popping the latch" on the shoulder strap of a traditional BCD. I have also threaded (Hog) weight pockets onto these loops.
I have done ALMOST the same thing. Instead of a big ring, I use two stacked tri-glides which have no teeth. It still slides well, but the belt won't twist like it will with a big ring. It is such a useful modification, I'm not sure why more people don't do it.

Replying to my own post, as I rummage through the stuff that DGX sent me, I also find this little gem:

So much to their credit, DGX sent me their basic BPW setup with three options to set up my harness. Props to them for that, IMO. The loop adjustment ring isn't mentioned in the directions, but is very simple to throw on. I took off the buckle and D-Ring on the left side, slipped it on, and it allows for just enough movement on the left side strap. The D-Ring acts as a stop to keep the left side strap from coming off. I like it.

Now I'm pretty much ready to put my wing and straps on. I do need to find the best way to tie my bungee for the inflator hose as it came as just the piece of cord rather than a loop. Not a big deal.

Overall I'm very happy so far. If anyone bothers reading this far and is considering a BPW, I would recommend not having it assembled for you. Putting your rig together yourself is a great way to really get to know your equipment, which is always beneficial.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom