Noobish BPW assembly question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Desertlifter

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Forgive my ignorance but I searched and failed to find opinions on this one. I am assembling a BP/W from DGX, and they provide two options for threading and securing the harness (basic one piece) where it wraps around to become the waist strap. The default is a sleeve over the strap that protects the strap and secures it, while the option is to use the traditional keeper to lock it into place.

Is there a concensus (yeah, I know...) about the better option of the two? I almost always see BPs assembled using the keepers, but I can see utility in the bit of give that the sleeves would provide. I have both sets of parts, so if the best answer is "try both," I can do that as well.

I have always used a 15' piece of webbing and a couple keepers (plus lots of D rings with keepers). It keeps it simple. Most folks initially string them too tight. You should have about 4" (a balled fist width) slack at the breast bone. leave some excess at the belt buckle in case you need to adjust.

Keepers…

But no harm in the tube webbing over the webbing if you’d like…

Yes, over years (usually decades) and many, many dives (again, usually thousands), the webbing will slowly wear away enough at the waist slots to warrant replacement…. It really isn’t a concern unless you have a really shty backplate that has unfinished edges (which isn’t really any of them) that cuts away at it. And then, spend the $15-40 on a new piece of webbing…

_R

Keepers.
I use on of these from Sub Gravity to n my right side.

This way I can pull the right side open wide when I’m getting out wearing a dry suit.

I am using bicycle tubing where harness getting through shoulder portion of the back plate and tri glider at the hip section and so far that works flawlessly for me.

Use keepers. The sleeve is not needed and is usually bouyant

@Kevin Floyd Those are pretty slick and a good idea - thanks! I went with the keepers. Taking my time with adjustment and getting it right since I have some time before my next dive opportunity. Thanks all for the input.

I use these guys for shoulders: Dive Rite Shoulder Pads, Set of Two

For the one bp/w I've got rigged using the single piece of webbing, I use a bit of tube webbing over the waist portion where it meets the plate. It's thin and soft, not sure where exactly to get it as it came with my dive-rite plate.

FWIW I use the metal keepers. No sleeving but for the neoprene shoulder pads (I often dive in just a rash guard). The only place I use the plastic keeper is on my right waist strap in the event I want to secure my little can light for a night dive because they are easier, somewhat, to thread and the thickness keeps the can light from slipping over and falling on the deck when I undo the waist buckle.

James

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom