Noobie! Sort of... ;p

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mpoberg

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
OK...so I used to dive for abs in my early 20s. its been 12years or so.....I want back in. Just bought a wet suit. need help with fins, mask, belt and such. Ill lay down what I have and a list of what I was thinking of getting. Let me know what you think? I would also love to meet with anyone local and have a beer and talk. -Matt:dork2:

Suit I have:
Pinnacle 7mm Escape Titanium 2-Piece Combo

Fins?
Cressi Gara 3000 LD Full Foot Free Diving Fins
Cressi Reaction Pro Full Foot Fins
Or...?

Mask?, Boots, other stuff.... I have no clue....Belt and such?

:idk:Thanks for the help everyone!:idk:

Beer and talk about diving? I'm game.

Fins - Definitely no-go on the full foot fins. Fins plus boots give you more flexibility and will generally be more comfortable. In addition, do not buy free diving fins for scuba. They are fantastic for free diving, but for scuba, your goal is very different. In addition, you'll want to be able to use a variety of kicks during your dive.

Mask - Buy the one that fits the best for your face. This could be a $20 mask or a $100 mask. This is your one view into the undersea world, and you don't want an ill fitting/leaking mask.

Boots - Given our balmy waters, I'd recommend 7mm. Well fitting is most important.

Gloves - Again, buy the best fitting gloves. The one that will flush the least will keep your hands the warmest.

That's enough to get you back into the sport with a refresher or redoing OW. Oh, if you decide to buy a snorkel, either buy the cheapest one possible or buy a folding one.

Belts, tanks, BCs, and regs can be rented.

Oh, and Welcome back to diving!

I can't use SCUBA when I dive for Abalone. SO I will be free diving right? LOL. Also I was told not to get adjustable fins as they get caught in the kelp and such.

7mm everything, the warmer you stay the longer you can look in 54 degree water.

Hit the flea markets and garage sales. Pick up a pair of Jetfins, Ab Iron and gauge, gamebag, float, and lead. Cheap and functional is the key, don't bring anything you don't want to lose. I prefer a pocket style weight belt so I can adjust the weight for conditions. Also, should you need to adjust weight you can remove some and drop it in the game bag.

Know your limitations, a four hour car ride does not justify diving dangerous conditions.

Bob
----------------------------
I may be old but I’m not dead yet.

Jet fins? Seems like the wrong app.? I may be wrong though. But i do get the 7mill boots part. I should get strap on fins then? one vote for jet fins....anyone else?

Jet fins. For sure. Full foot fins aren't really the best choice here, especially with the thermal protection you're gonna want (i.e., boots)

I tired jet fins, couldn't use them because they hit a lot of weird pressure points in my feet. Not only that, my competitive swimming background left me much more comfortable in blade fins. If I feel like shelling out more money, I may pick up a pair of splits in the future.

Ok....scuba pro jet fins. What ones. LoL twin jet. Twin jet max. Jet sport. Or just jet fins. They seem basic. Must be good though. I like the quick release of the sport version. But the old school jet fins seem to look tough. I want a fin i can use for free dives and maybe later move into some scuba dives off ab season.

Ok....jet fins. Not going to happen. The military bought them all up.lol but i did find the hollis fins. Same thing for the most part. Thoughts?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom