noob wetsuit/fin alert

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

thanks guys... i think the aluminum guys have it (sorry jon, pasaway hehehe :D) I think I have all the bases covered going with it :wink:

@jai/pak/larry/mike: very well said sirs, if i'm heading in that direction anyway, then might as well get the gear for it already... aluminum me thinks is the best option, more allowance for "growth" and if ever I go for that steel tank (smaller & lighter, on land) then I guess it would be perfect!

thanks for all the help, again
kudos to everyone :D

bing

sorry jon (was reffering to your pm) my bad :D

...yeah an air2 would also really help :10:

yup, i know what you mean mike... might end up burning out, too fast too soon, tempting... i'll go log some more dives now, thanks :blinking:

The problem I have with aluminum is that to prevent corrossion, they are usually painted over. Once you scratch the outer paint you have to be wary about it getting in contact with other metals that might initiate galvanic corrosion. These can be the stainless "D" rings or the stainless buckle on your harness, the screw that holds the single tank adaptor, or the metal from your regulator.

Also take note that a properly mounted tank on a bp/wing will most likely have the regulator touching the back of your head when you arch your head backwards. The proximity of the tank valve is intentionally designed for emergency valve shut-offs. Some people find this annoying and have gone so far as to incorrectly mounting the tank too low. The trade-off is usually bad trim... defeating a major reason for getting a BP in the first place.

A hint at proper weighting (even with a jacket BCD) is that you start the dive with a few puffs of air in your bcd to offset the negative bouyancy of a full air tank.Towards the end of the dive your bcd should be practically empty. When its time to surface there will be no need to add air into your bcd until you get to sea level. At the surface you'd need to inflate the BCD to get your head more comfortably higher above the water.

On this note, you should also be aware that not all BP/wings combinations are the same when it comes to lifting your chin above the water. This may be an issue for you if you find yourself adrift in heavy seas, or when you are carrying things like camera housings and stage tanks.

jonix:
i think you're messed up already i suggested alum as well :crafty:

btw, here's someone from here using a bp/wing :D

http://www.scubaboard.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/49061/cat/1643

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom