Noob starting gear questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wow thank you so much guys. I am doing this class because I am about to sign up for underwater welding school and I wanna do this first so I can tell if I can even do it

Good idea -- see if you can get comfortable under water before you make a career out of it! Good luck.

I would talk to the school and see what their "basic" equipment list is like. If you will be required to use certain gear then I would suggest buying that type of gear. It could potentially save you some bucks. I know in my OW class, the instructors didn't care what kind of basic gear we used as long as it was quality gear and not Kmart snorkeling stuff. Keep us in the loop and good luck. Oh and welcome to the board...:D

Ya the diving school told me get the basic witch I can get at his store and the underwater welding setup I can't touch intel I go to that school witch is a 4000 buck setup

What sort of jobs are available for UW Welding? I assume mostly it is oil rigs at very deep saturation diving depths. Just a fyi the math for this sort of diving theory is very intense ---

I'll differ slightly with some of the advice above. The best way to evaluate mask fit is NOT to put the mask on and inhale, and see if it will stick to your face. (Of course, if it won't, it REALLY doesn't fit.) But if you suck in hard enough, you can make a lot of masks stick that will leak in the water. Instead, take the mask and gently place it on your face. Push inward until the skirt flexes and you have exhausted a small amount of air from the mask. Now don't breathe through your nose, and see if the mask will stay put. If it won't, it will leak in the water.

A good-fitting mask is one of the most important parts of your dive gear, and you have to pay whatever you have to pay to buy one that fits well.

Snorkel -- I'm with everybody else, buy a cheap one. You don't need a fancy dry snorkel with a purge that's going to run you $70 or more.

Fins? I'd advise starting with something simple and inexpensive. Buy a plastic blade fin that isn't too floppy, either full foot if you're only diving in the tropics, or open-heel if you are going to use booties. If you like diving, put a pair of spring straps on those fins. If you dive a lot, you'll decide whether you want something stiffer, for more thrust, or something floppier (like splits) for easier kicking. Fins get expensive very fast, and there's no need to buy $200 fins for your OW class.

If I might stick my nose in here,taking a recreational SCUBA Course is not going to even remotely prepare you for what you will encounter in Commercial Dive/UW Welding School.Just because you are comfortable doing a few pool sessions & a couple of basic open water checkout dives does not mean you will feel the same way in the absolute zero visibility,most of the time brutally cold(even when diving a warm water suit),ripping current, conditions the average Commercial Diver has to deal with.
By all means take a Basic SCUBA Course & enjoy the underwater world BUT before you lay down serious cash to go to Comm.Dive School spend a year as a roughneck on an oil rig because that's the kind of work most U/W welders perform.Just my 2 cents for what it's worth...

I'll differ slightly with some of the advice above. The best way to evaluate mask fit is NOT to put the mask on and inhale, and see if it will stick to your face. (Of course, if it won't, it REALLY doesn't fit.) But if you suck in hard enough, you can make a lot of masks stick that will leak in the water. Instead, take the mask and gently place it on your face. Push inward until the skirt flexes and you have exhausted a small amount of air from the mask. Now don't breathe through your nose, and see if the mask will stay put. If it won't, it will leak in the water.

A good-fitting mask is one of the most important parts of your dive gear, and you have to pay whatever you have to pay to buy one that fits well.

Snorkel -- I'm with everybody else, buy a cheap one. You don't need a fancy dry snorkel with a purge that's going to run you $70 or more.

I'd try to have a snorkel or a regulator mouthpiece in your mouth whilst trying masks - The shape of your upper lip under your nose will be different with a mouthpiece in. I find that some masks can apply pressure upward under my nose once I've got a mouthpiece in - very annoying. You'll probably buy a snorkel at the same time as your first mask anyway, just choose the snorkel first. Oh - and don't spend too much on the snorkel as others have already said.

If I might stick my nose in here,taking a recreational SCUBA Course is not going to even remotely prepare you for what you will encounter in Commercial Dive/UW Welding School.Just because you are comfortable doing a few pool sessions & a couple of basic open water checkout dives does not mean you will feel the same way in the absolute zero visibility,most of the time brutally cold(even when diving a warm water suit),ripping current, conditions the average Commercial Diver has to deal with.
By all means take a Basic SCUBA Course & enjoy the underwater world BUT before you lay down serious cash to go to Comm.Dive School spend a year as a roughneck on an oil rig because that's the kind of work most U/W welders perform.Just my 2 cents for what it's worth...

O ya I know the clean pool and calm lake is nothing comparing to a Ocean rig, I would like to go to school for some basic and some thing to keep me focus while I wait for the semester to start. I been swimming 4 times a week now for 3 months to get in shape and to make me a strong swimmer. But my options I gave my self is go to the CDA in Jacksonville or try to join the navy and try to get it thru them, they both have pros and cons, but just me being a welder with a diving cert opens so much work that's not even ocean work, but I would like to try to get salvaging lience to as well later down the road

---------- Post Merged at 09:08 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 09:02 AM ----------

Thank you all for the advice I don't feel as lost any more

Back
Top Bottom