Noob starting gear questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Amon

New
Reaction score
# of dives
Hello all this is my first post and I am about to sign up for diving classes and the instructor told me the starting gear I need is mask,snorkel,fins and some thing he called fin booties, any ways my question is what's the standard for basic gear and what do I need to look for and look out for when buying gear new or used.

Mask-should be tempered glass and not leak (i.e. Fits your face)
Snorkle-Avoid $$$ a simple one is good enough IMO
Booties-These are just shoes that you wear to keep the fins from rubbing a blister on your feet
Fins-Well, that's a huge debate...

The best thing to do is try before you buy.

IMO mask is the most important. You may find a mask that fits in the store, but still leaks underwater. My first mask was like that. My second mask fit and didn't leak, but hurt the area under my nose after long use. The third was a mares liquid skin, and fits great, feels great, and doesn't leak. Like was said earlier, try before you buy.

Snorkel: buy the cheapest one you can find. I got mine at walmart used it for class, and never used it since.

Fins: get what fits and what you like and what you want to spend. All fins work, some better than others at specific kicks, but they all will work for open water training. Oh yeah, get open heel fins.

Boots: get what you will be diving in. I dive in a lot of springs so i got 5mm.

booties (boots): Boots | Dive Boots at LeisurePro.com Typically (but not always) divers wear open heel fins so they're needed to prevent chafing. Also they're useful getting over rocks/coral etc. at the dive site. On Bonaire for example the coral reef comes right up on shore, you'd shred your feet without thicker boots. The colder the water you'll be diving in the thicker the boot you want. Most people will match their boots to their wetsuit thickness.

Snorkelers often wear full-foot fins, they're either used barefoot or with thinner dive socks. Some warm water divers also use them.

Options for fins (I keep posting leisurepro.com links since they show a good selection) Fins | Scuba Fins, Snorkeling Fins, Swim Fins at LeisurePro.com Anything marked swim or snorkel is not optimal for diving. Fins are typically going to either be paddle fins (solid) or split-fins. Each has it's proponents. Split fins are easier to kick but less functional for maneuvering in tight spaces. Some will say you can generate more thrust with a paddle fin - I'm not one of them after having used both.

Most open-heel split-fins are sold with a royalty being paid to the designer so often they're higher priced. It doesn't always mean they're better.

I would go to a nearby dive store - maybe the one your instructor teaches thru? and try on masks. As mentioned above fit is the most important thing. You should be able to put the mask on your face, inhale thru your nose and keep it in place for a short while. There's actually nothing wrong with buying all your gear there - prices may be a little higher but you'll know it all fits correctly and have the expertise of the dive store employee to help you decide what is best for your situation.

A $20 snorkel works as well as a $50 snorkel - I've had both. For the last 4-5 years my $50 snorkel has rode around in my dive bag - I never use it. But the type of diving I do means I don't have long surface swims - a snorkel is handy for those to save the air in your tank. You'll be taught to attach it to your mask for easy access if necessary.

Try to find a dive shop who has a Try before you buy policy. Some LDS has a indoor pool where you can test drive th gear.

Best of luck.

Remember, when you're trying out the mask, have a snorkel in your mouth.
The shape of your face changes with a snorkel or reg in it, so a mask that fits with your mouth closed might not when in the pool with a snorkel/regulator.

I'll add my ten cents.

Get a low-profile mask. They're easier to clear, and you'll have better peripheral vision, which makes life easier in general. My mask is super low-profile (it almost touches my eyelashes), and I think it's great. You could get a used mask if it's still in practically new condition. If the skirt or strap is starting to look yellow or feel tough instead of soft, it's probably no good. If the skirt has any tiny tears, forget about it, because it'll leak. If you get a mask and it keeps leaking, get another one ASAP, because a persistently leaky mask can ruin a dive.

We do use our snorkels, because in the ocean the waves splash a lot, and salt water isn't nice to have in your mouth. So as soon as the regulator comes out, the snorkel goes in, unless we have to talk about something. I occasionally use the snorkel in the lake to see what's below me on a surface swim, but not as often as I use it in the ocean. I prefer a snorkel with a wide bore (wide tube) for easier breathing, and splash guard at the top. The purge valve on mine causes more problems than it solves. I wouldn't bother with a used snorkel, because it could have fungus or some other nasty in it, and they're cheap. I think ours were $25 or so.

We initially bought booties that zip up, but we're changing over to the kind that just pull up, because the zippers have a tendency to unzip, and the velcro zipper keeper quickly loses its ability to stay put. You might want to choose your booties before you choose your fins, to make sure the fins fit properly with the booties on. I wouldn't bother with used booties, because they could have fungus or some other nasty in them, and they're cheap.

We have Mares Avanti Quattro Pro fins, which are expensive but nice. We see a lot of seasoned divers with those, and we have zero complaints. The open heel design is nice, because you can use the fins with different types of booties and with spring straps someday. Fins are something you can buy used. Even if they look scuffed up, they're probably fine, as long as the fin still has its proper shape, and it doesn't have any cracks in it. Ours already look pretty scraped up after 20 dives.

Wow thank you so much guys. I am doing this class because I am about to sign up for underwater welding school and I wanna do this first so I can tell if I can even do it

Back
Top Bottom