Noob Seeking Wetsuit help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Everyone is trying to direct you with a single suit solution so you don't go dropping a bundle. The fact is that you'll have a lot more flexibility if you invest in several pieces (over time). A 3mm full suit is a good place to start for tropical diving, and you can add a hood to manage your heat loss as needed. Over time, you may choose to add a 2/3mm or 5mm over-shorty, or a 2/3 mm hooded vest in order to manage your body temp.

I dive in tropical waters 4-5 times a day, have invested in several pieces along the way. For waters below 75 F, or if I'm in the water more than 60 mins continuously, a 5mm works, and sometimes I add a hood. As the wetsuits get thicker, they become a touch harder to don and doff, and they may not be as flexible at the elbows and knees (better wetsuits like "WaterProof Capri and Lynx" are pre-flexed).

Probably wise to start with a high quality 3mm suit. If you can try one at a store that has a pool or ocean access, that's ideal. But only a few offer wet try-ons.

bear,

The thing is you said "70+". In my opinion, 5 degrees makes a big difference. If I was divinging in the upper 70's I'd probably be ok in a full 3 mil. Lower 70's and I'd want a full 5 mil. If you get warm you can always unzip. A little cool, add a beanie.

I'm not a personal fan of shorties because it seems like I can always find a jellyfish or scuff a shin on a boat ladder.

Divetank has the bare for 200. Looks like this might be my 1st wetsuit for 08'.

I would never buy another wetsuit besides a Henderson Titanium Hyperstretch 2 piece combo (John and jacket). I go with the 7mm too that way if its a warm location all you need is wear the top half but if its cooler than both will keep you toasty especially with a 7mm hood and I have 3, 5, and 7mm gloves to suit a variety of dives.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom