Noob question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

theunraveler

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi all,

I'm hoping to pick up the hobby of underwater videography and I hope some masters here can give some advice.

1) What do I need to take good videos/still pictures of underwater life?

2) Any recommendations for a poor student like me :D

Thanks

First you should say in what conditions you want to take pics/vids, sea, fresh water, overhead, night etc. Even with not so expensive equipment it is possible to create nice things. But it is true for some special purposes you may need a special equipment. It really depends on what you want to record.

Hi all,

I'm hoping to pick up the hobby of underwater videography and I hope some masters here can give some advice.

1) What do I need to take good videos/still pictures of underwater life?

2) Any recommendations for a poor student like me :D

Thanks

Underwater video requires you to buy several things: a camcorder, a housing, and a computer and software for editing which takes hours and hours and hours after you are done with the dives.... HD requires a big powerful computer, too. :shocked2:
You are looking at spending on those 4 items: $2,000-$20,000+. If you add lights to that, add $600-$6000 more.

Still photo you only need a camera, housing, strobes, then use of a computer with Photoshop for editing. You can get started, as long as you have a computer and software already, for about $1000. Some people shoot video with still Point-and-shoot cameras but I think they always look crappy and blurry. Just because they can shoot video, doesn't mean the video will be decent quality. :shakehead:
If you want a Dslr still camera - the housing, ports, additional lenses, etc. will run you $5000 - up.

Since your profile says you are a newbie diver, you should probably work on your diving experience first and worry about shooting video later.

robin:D

I've done quite abit diving of late just never really bothered to refresh my user settings.

I guess people start off doing underwater still life camera then move on to videocamera? Is it possible to get a camera that does both?

I've done quite abit diving of late just never really bothered to refresh my user settings.

I guess people start off doing underwater still life camera then move on to videocamera? Is it possible to get a camera that does both?

1. yes, many people start off shooting still and move to video. That is what I did. I switched when I was finding I didn't enjoy my dives as much as I spent too much time trying to set up shots and missed too many cool things swimming by. LOL Video, to me, is easy and more relaxing than still.... but it is more labor intensive when you get home. Video editing is a long process, if you do it right. So, IMHO, still photo is labor intensive underwater, video is labor intensive above water.

2. Yes, you can get a still camera that shoots video or a video camera that takes stills........ however, not one that does both as well. I find videos done on still cameras to be awful to horrendous in quality - very jerky, very blue, and no detail. Also, most people doing this method have no clue what makes good video so they tend to just swing the camera around constantly with no focus on any subject. Really bad. On the other hand, you can do "screen captures" with video cameras, so the same thing as a still photo, just not as high resolution. It is really the better option if you only want to get one system. It just matters which one you plan to do the most with.... :D

Watch some of my videos and some of the other members here on SB, like Ronscuba, Roger Uzun, Mike Meagher, David White, etc. (all of us are on Vimeo, Video Sharing For You) We all have different camcorders and a large amount of videos with different subjects and styles. Check out YouTube, too. (AnnieCrawley, pacificcoast101, DiveNC, Surferdude71) and others. You can get a feel for what quality you get with what type of setup, then determine what you want to spend. :D

robin:D

The Canon 5D MKII. But the whole poor student thing is going to be a problem esp. when you look for a housing/port.

Sample video shot from it: http://www.vimeo.com/5315673

Going with the video option, the new Sony XR520V shoots 12.1MP stills.

The Canon 5D MKII. But the whole poor student thing is going to be a problem esp. when you look for a housing/port.

Sample video shot from it: 5D MK2 Firmware Update Test Footage on Vimeo

Going with the video option, the new Sony XR520V shoots 12.1MP stills.

good grief, steve! He said he is a poor student looking to get started and you show him a camera that most working folks can't even afford! :shocked2:
Canon | EOS 5D Mark II Digital Camera Kit with Can | 2764B004

Don't show it to your husband...:wink:

Don't show it to your husband...:wink:
He has already seen it and told me it fits in his S&S housing. :shakehead: I think he will be happy with his 450D for now, either than or I kill him. :eyebrow:

Back
Top Bottom