Noob question: Small triples or doubles?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would love to have a modern set, but I dough that they are available with DOT stamps for export to the US. :(

I feel like I'm running into dead ends on the manifold/valves/bands for the doubles.

I'd like to find a reputable dealer/manufacturer who can give me the straight scoop on cost to go this route.

Too bad the 2x6L twin tanks from Poseidon are no go here in the states.

If I understand how the modern version work, you attach your primary reg and tank pressure gauge to one of the tanks valves and your octo to the other tanks valve - correct???

I think the simplicity of freediving has caused me to forget some of the technical nature of blowing bubbles... :wink:

Think Sidemount,
Presently being manufactured. (Parts readily available)
You can mount some fairly large tanks. (And remain Very Streamlined)
Your chest to backbone measurement wont change much at all.
You just can't get a lower CG. (Unless you sling tanks out front)
You'll have redundant gas supply.
Tank size changes are little to no problem.
Traveling with this setup presents no real problems.
If your buddy runs OOA, you simply pass off a tank to them.
The only problems seem to be a slight increase in task load,
the required multiple regs (A good thing though).
Oh, and keeping the tanks out of
the way when doing staged deco.

I bought a set of near mint condition twin 30's for the pair of 30's to use as deco bottles.

Consequently I still have the like new USD twin manifold and the spacer designed to go between the two tanks.

30's and 40's are the same diameter so it would work equally well for twin 40's. THe way the mainfold and spacer are designed, the set wil strap to a regular BC or a hardpack with a normal cam band. I did have to dive the arrangement before dissassmbling just to see how it felt and they are both light and low profile and were well balanced.

If you are interested we could possibly work out a deal.

A set of triple 30's would be cool just to have and use them with one of my double hose regs.

I feel like I'm running into dead ends on the manifold/valves/bands for the doubles.

If you look at the folks talking about these sorts of rigs you can see that many of them have had them for decades and before their wisdom teeth. You're just stepping into the sport and trying to back into an itty bitty niche of the gear realm.

I'd suggest starting simple and as you learn more you can watch for opportunities and eventually you will find what you want. Some of these items are real oddities but they are out there and they do pop up for sale. They are not plentiful enough that you can snap them up at will. It may be used parts from a number of sources but if you persevere you will get there. Meanwhile there is probably no harm is starting with a conventional single cylinder rig since that's what you will be using if you see any travel diving in your future.

Pete

If you want it, I'll help you find it. It will take time but when you get it, it will be really cool. Much easier to just by a single AL80, but no where near as much fun.

If you want it, I'll help you find it. It will take time but when you get it, it will be really cool. Much easier to just by a single AL80, but no where near as much fun.

Spent a good portion of the day trying to sort it out - figured I'm better off with a single HP Steel 65 or LP Steel 77 or 85 - I Really want something compact. I also prefer diving DIN valves (my Poseidon Regs are DIN) compared to yokes.

Do you do plan on doing any overhead training? Twin AL80s would provide a decently slim profile while still allowing you to utilize them in overhead training environment if desired. Using triples seems like too much expense for them benefits stated in previous posts.

Do you do plan on doing any overhead training? Twin AL80s would provide a decently slim profile while still allowing you to utilize them in overhead training environment if desired. Using triples seems like too much expense for them benefits stated in previous posts.

No overhead training - wanted the setup due to being compact and streamlined. Looks like I'm back to square one.

Catalina S30s in a triple set up are really comfortable. You'll be about 8 lbs negative when full and a few lbs negative when empty. You're problems are going to be a mainifold (I have the old USD one) and a way to hold them steady and secure them to you body. For someone who is freediver, it would be a great way to go.

Hi TS&M,

What is the center to center spacing of that manifold. I know it was origionally used with Luxfer S30s which are smaller in diameter and longer than the Catalina S30s.

Maybe easier measurement would be what would be the spacing between the tanks where a mounting bolt would go.

I too am a big fan of skinny doubles and triples. My favorite rig is a UDS-2/3 :D ( 2 - 35cuft tanks from a UDS-1 on a double manifold made from the outer sections of a UDS-1 triple manifold and a fill port/second regulator fitting on the crossover.)

I sometimes dive with them as triples with an independant third 35 or 40.

Ron

Back
Top Bottom