Noob question: Small triples or doubles?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

5ata

Contributor
Reaction score
In relation to this topic I started, I'm looking for information about getting my first set of tanks. I like the idea of using smaller tanks and wanted to find out recommendations about the ideal fiest setup. I want to use nitrox with them, and am considering double or possible triple 30cu ft tanks. Since I have no idea how this works as compared to a single tank, I wanted to ask the community for some guidance.

What special considerations need to be taken, etc?

TIA & Safe diving,

Triples? No offense but you would probally be laughed off most dive sites. Sounds like a big PITA to me but to each their own. If your looking into dbls try out some different tanks 80's HP95's LP108's and so fouth first. Figure out what you like the most and how much gas you plan on using and go from there.

Catalina S30s in a triple set up are really comfortable. You'll be about 8 lbs negative when full and a few lbs negative when empty. You're problems are going to be a mainifold (I have the old USD one) and a way to hold them steady and secure them to you body. For someone who is freediver, it would be a great way to go.

Catalina S30s in a triple set up are really comfortable. You'll be about 8 lbs negative when full and a few lbs negative when empty. You're problems are going to be a mainifold (I have the old USD one) and a way to hold them steady and secure them to you body. For someone who is freediver, it would be a great way to go.

What would you recommend for a manifold to work with these? From what I can determine, triple manifolds are virtually non-existent - I'm trying to distribute the tanks weight across my back instead of right in the center as well as being lower in profile across the back. How would a pair of double 40's work? I want something as streamlined as possible. What about BC? Wings? I know nothing about tech dive gear and this appears to fall into that category.

Any recommendations on this would be great.

I want to understand this but I can't....why would you carry 3 30's? 10cuft more than a full single 80. Dbls 40's other than redundacy its the same as an 80. I thought the whole point of diving dbls was to have more gas and be redundant...did I not get the memo?

What would you recommend for a manifold to work with these? From what I can determine, triple manifolds are virtually non-existent - I'm trying to distribute the tanks weight across my back instead of right in the center as well as being lower in profile across the back. How would a pair of double 40's work? I want something as streamlined as possible. What about BC? Wings? I know nothing about tech dive gear and this appears to fall into that category.

Any recommendations on this would be great.

I was going to recommend twin 40's. It is probably the easiest to set up. Twin 50 can also be well balanced and very comfortable, but they are wider (and probably shorter).

I have some very narrow, very low profile, European (Poseidon) twin 50's that are a dream to dive with, but they are not DOT, or made anymore.

This kind of set up falls more under vintage equipment diving than tech diving. In the old days doubles and triples were used for better balanced, lower profile, and to bring the double hose regulator closer to your back (lungs). No isolation valve was considered necessary.

I want to understand this but I can't....why would you carry 3 30's? 10cuft more than a full single 80?

You could zip-tie a bunch of spare-air cannisters together!

I was going to recommend twin 40's. It is probably the easiest to set up. Twin 50 can also be well balanced and very comfortable, but they are wider (and probably shorter)...

In the old days doubles and triples were used for better balanced, lower profile, and to bring the double hose regulator closer to your back (lungs). No isolation valve was considered necessary.

Hence the reason to go double or triples - better balanced and lower profile. When one freedives and has NO TANKS on their back, the idea of lugging a large single tank that is unbalanced is akin to pulling teeth.

The elegance of smaller doubles or triples brings a more comfortable feeling in the water from what I have read.

I got to dive doubled up LP-45s one weekend. Man, that was a pleasurable rig to dive. It’s not actually so rare a sight to see someone in, and I have heard some instructors regretting getting rid of their old sets. The rig I tried was from guys who were improving bands for their sets, and who planned to use the sets on their shore dives. They have access to own compressors and pump the babies up so that they carry 120cuft.

The rig rode close to back, very balanced, light and worked nicely with a small wing. If I recall correctly it had an OMS manifold on it. I’d take it in a heartbeat over big single for some shore entries where I don’t want to be lugging doubles. And they are cute too :)

I want to understand this but I can't....why would you carry 3 30's? 10cuft more than a full single 80. Dbls 40's other than redundacy its the same as an 80. I thought the whole point of diving dbls was to have more gas and be redundant...did I not get the memo?

That is only a relatively recent way of thinking.

Small doubles and triples were used in the past for their low profile and better balanced. A pair of thin doubles with just a harness is IMHO the most comfortable rig available.

It does add a few very minor points of failure, but vintage regulator had very few points of failure. They are simpler with less parts and very few connections or O-rings. A DA Aqua Master is a two stage regulator with no O-rings at all (only the tank to regulator connection), also no LP hose to fail.

Redundancy is more of an issue in a overhead environment (either hard overhead or deco).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom