Non Specific Dive Gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jsmith89

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
I just got a back-plate and wing. Every shop I went to said that they would have to order the bolts i needed to hold the wing to the plate and that they would be 20-30 dollars! I finally had enough and went to west marine. Bought 4 16x stainless bolts 4 washers and 4 wing nuts all stainless (yes i know i only needed 2 but i got an extra pair just in case) Cost me 11 dollars. Is there any downsides to using these bolts vs the ones at the dive shops?

-Jacobi

there is absolutly no difference
even galvanized bolts from home depot will work

They jack the prices way up on stuff like that because alot of people fall for it.
Thats whats so brilliant about DIR, them make it a rule to use a certain kind of bolt snap that you can only get from one overpriced source, now that sources is raking in cash from frikin' nuts and bolts they got from home depot.

D1V3R:
They jack the prices way up on stuff like that because alot of people fall for it..

Yep.

D1V3R:
Thats whats so brilliant about DIR, them make it a rule to use a certain kind of bolt snap that you can only get from one overpriced source, now that sources is raking in cash from frikin' nuts and bolts they got from home depot.

Huh?

D1V3R:

of bolt snap is specified and what is the 'sole' source?

Looks like another case of foot-in-mouth disease...lot of that going around this time of year.

okay yah, im coming off harsh
but you have to agree that it is pretty stupid that people have to be 100% DIR compatable and go out of their way to use only parts from halcyon and such.
Nothing against halcyon of course, definatly the best pair of wings I've ever owned, but you know what i mean

your comment is completely off-base...if you want to start a silly little rant about DIR, at least try to sound like you know what it entails.

Know what I mean?

Why do people keep doing this? DIR doesn't give a damn about what brand your stuff is.

Buy your stuff at Lowes, Home Depot, or both!

Good job on getting a deal on the bolts!

using off the shelf parts: $ 11
putting together your own rig: $100

Asking experienced divers to ensure your
equpiment is a safe addition to your dive gear... priceless.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom