Non-spearing charter ops?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

del_mo

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
Are there any diveboats in the greater FLL area that are "green"?....as in NO spear guns.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Cave Diver:
Answers to the OP questions have been left here. If you wish to continue the "green" debate, do it elsewhere.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not going to wade thru 3 pages....

If I recall - Splashdown in Boynton has a no spearo policy...

I can't believe (oh, yes I can) the crap I'm getting from a simple question. I am not a vegan. I simply enjoy diving to be with the fish. I enjoy the encounters I have underwater with them. I do not enjoy returning to the boat with some ya-hoo's who have dead/dying fish on their stringers, nor do I enjoy being around those how rip the legs off lobsters to keep them from thrashing about.

Just because I enjoy hamburger I don't need to be at the slaughterhouse. I have killed in the past. I don't enjoy it. I don't enjoy being around dying animals.

So, sorry for using the term "green". I was only trying to cushion my question without coming out and saying spearfishing sucks.

OH_-and I think pro diver in ft lauderdale does not allow spearfishing---nice boats, but not for me if they dont allow you to sling steel

Are there any diveboats in the greater FLL area that are "green"?....as in NO spear guns.

Simple question, most on the thread did not answer but debated their own stuff.

I dived Ocean Divers in Key Largo for years and never even thought about spearfishing or Lobster taking. Seems most operators off South Florida do both. I don't do either but love the diving off Boynton and Jupiter. Sometimes you must compromise.

Good diving, Craig

In that are you are probobly going to have to get enough people together to fill up a boat if you want NO chance of spearing. Or you may just call ahead and ask what kind of divers are on the boat that day. Usually spearos call ahead because they want good fishing. We dont want to be on a boat that caters to sight seeers only just like you don't want to be on a boat with us. So just give a call and ask if anyone spearing is on the boat.

In general I think you will find more spearfishing as you go north when
diving the east coast. I've seen less spearfishing in say lauderdale and
pompano than say boynton and jupiter. The dive charters are mostly
concerned with filling their boats to pay their bills rather than making
a statement on any particular lifestyle. IJS...

Happy Holidays to all and safe diving in 2010 !

There are some "No Spearing" boats down south. I know the Jupiter boats have spears. The Blue Tang even has Spearo trips. I have went on these as a non-spearo in a group of spearos. Great opporutinty to see Sharks! Huge Bulls swam in and barely looked at me twice swimming toward the stringers.

We are a hunting friendly boat, but we monitor the catch in terms of size and limits. More than once I have discussed a kill with a customer at the risk of losing his business. The reality of life is people eat animals and fish and as long as they do it within the established boundaries, it is ok by me. I think most hunters have a tendency to be concerned about the environment and we haul up trash that we come upon. To each his own.
Oh, BTW...I haven't eaten any meat in 35 years, but since I could never stop eating seafood, I remain an unvegetarian.

Splashdown Divers - Palm Beach County, Florida - Scuba Diving Boats and Charters - PADI Scuba Diving Certification - Serving West Palm Beach, Boynton Beach, Highland Beach, Delray Beach, Boca Raton, Florida.
off topic I think,
but yes Splashdown has a no spear gun policy-I was on the boat the day Capt.Lynn put the policy in effect as some tourist's from south of the equator thought it was cute to kill as many critters as they could two warnings with a translation and Kev still had to go in and slit a killed fish air bladder as Lynn said it would do some good on the bottom,It was a real quiet trip in for all on board!:depressed:

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom