Non-Pink 3mm, Front Zip, Women's Wet Suit - anyone??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thiad

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Is there a 3mm wetsuit, front zip, single piece wetsuit, with not a single STITCH OF PINK out there anywhere in the world that's not custom made?

The other bits and pieces of women specific dive gear exist, but for whatever reason, I can't find a single non-pink 3mm front-zip suit.

And on that same line, why do manufacturers think all women like pink? I don't have anything necessarily against the color (except I despise it), but I really, really would like to find things that aren't PINK. Black is ok, blue is nice, even purple is passable - but NO PINK. I know the fish don't care, but.... :shakehead:

Difficult, aren't I?

And on that same line, why do manufacturers think all women like pink?

Heh, I've noticed that too. And agreed, there's nothing wrong with pink, but it's annoying when a men's version of something comes in two or three possible trim/colors (or just plain black), and then the women's is... just pink. You don't see the men's stuff only coming in "baby" blue, do you?

Sorry, I have no info on the suit you are looking for; I just had to commiserate with you on the surfeit of pink.

Blue Sparkle

PS: I'm just curious - have you tried donning/doffing a front-zip fullsuit? I feel like it would be somewhat difficult on account of the human shoulders not really allowing one's arms to extend backward (i.e. the backward version of the "sleepwalking" position that I use when I pull my back-zip fullsuit off). But then I don't have the most flexible shoulders so it may just be me.

I think that the problem you are going to run into is the front zip. Neo Sport makes a womens full suit and shorty in black. If you don't mind price, would a custom suit be such a bad thing? I would look at liquidfit.com. I personally have the opposite problem. I want my suit to be as loud as possible. What happened to the wetsuits of the '80s?

I'm not alone in my pain! That makes me feel better.

Which PADI training video has the woman diver in all pink? Pink regulator, pink trimmed suit, pink BC (definitely early 1990s gear)... Oh, it's all of the videos. I had a hard time watching the videos for staring at the pinkness of it all.

I have two front zipper suits - a Camaro Stingray and a Henderson. My problem is probably all in my head, but I hate the back zipper and how it feels around my neck - like I'm being choked. Purely a "I am totally messed up in the head" thing, but I think I may have no choice on the zipper unless I go custom made. I love the 7mm Camaro suit and they have a very nice 3mm Stingray - with with pink piping, of course. Grrr.....

I don't think a custom would be a bad thing - probably a good thing and the best route to getting what I want. I ran across a site last night that made psychedelic patterned skins - extremely loud! Maybe next year on the suit. Maybe by then, some manufacturer will hear the cries of like minded people and do things in a different color.

At least life in the drysuit world seems to be a little less pink.

I have a possible alternative for you, considering what you said about the neck thing. And there's no pink involved:

Waterproof brand's 3mm Capri fullsuit is on close-out right now for $99. Now, it IS Power Rangery, I have to tell you. It's a crazy mix of black, grey, white, and maroon. But no pink! (The new model is.... ahem... black with pink trim).

It is a back zip, but there is a gusseted zipper in the front of the neck that is about 3" long, and is specifically there so you can unzip it between dives (or on the dive if you don't mind a bit of water getting in). I have one of these suits, and I love it - there is no choking feeling with the front zipper down (but I'm not prone to that either). They seems very well made, with inner cuffs and zippers on both wrists and ankles, etc.

They have a sort of fuzzy liner, which does take a bit longer to dry than "skin" neoprene. The neoprene is not the super stretchy type, but the cut has many, many panels, so the idea is that you get one to fit so that it doesn't need to be super stretchy (not that it's rigid of course).

They come in about 25 or more sizes, so there is a lot of choice in fitting. They don't have all the sizes left in the close-out (about six when I just looked); but if they have one that would fit you it might be an option. I've had a Capri for over a year now, and I really like it. I've since bought a 5mm version from Craigslist (couldn't find any new ones) and one of the closeout 7mm ones from Waterproof a couple of weeks ago.

Here is a link to the store -- it should go right to the women's Capri. If the link does not work, just go to Waterproof USA, store, closeouts, wetsuits, Capri women's.

Waterproof - CAPRI 3MM WOMEN'S FULLSUIT | Waterproof Facing Reality

WP-CAPRI_LG.jpg

Here is a comparison chart; the charts on their site show them all in separate windows so it's hard to compare across sizes:

Waterproof womens size chart.jpg

They also have the Capri shorty available.

Blue Sparkle

Power Rangery! I love that description - very appropriate! It's actually not that crazy looking all things considered, and that is a pretty unique idea with the zipper on the neck.

One of the dive centers here in SoCal is carrying. I think I might call them and see if they have my size. It would be worth trying. Thanks for the link and I will let you know.

I just noticed you are in Cali. That's where my closeout order shipped from, so that might make shipping time/$ minimal for you (I'm all the way across the country, but even so it was not bad).

I think if you buy from the Waterproof site they do give credit to a local dealer - in case you don't find one locally. At least I know they ask for your ZIP code and mention something about local dealers, but then (for me) my order continued through online.

I'll be interested to see how it works out for you.

Blue Sparkle

SOLD OUT. :(

But the gentleman at Eco Dive also commiserated with my pain. He said the vendors are getting better with the whole pink thing. I hope so, but I feel I will be dealing with pink until 2012.

PS - He did tell me to come and try an Aqualung suit they have. All black and charcoal with minimal race patches (another pet peeve - they need to pay us for all the advertising we wear!). It matches my Aqualung BCD and he said it doesn't feel like it's strangling him. I think I'll try it out.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom