Non-ocean recommendations for good viz diving in US

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Skaneateles Lake ny. Good viz. Depth as shallow or deep as u wish. And it's also the finger lakes whine country! !! Then drive 2hrs north and hit the thousand islands! !

Sent from my galaxy S5 Active.

Lake Crescent, WA. 50-100ft vis.

It has the added benefit of being near some totally awesome ocean diving, too, at Salt Creek Recreation Area. You can go ocean diving with the kelp and seals and fishes, then rinse the gear on a stunning wall dive in clear, fresh water.

Lake Michigan and Huron in the straights area and Lake Michigan can have great vis 40' to 100'. There is some very good wreck diving in the Great Lakes within recreational depths. Bottom water temps can be mid 50s to low 40s.

I haven't been there for a long while, but Lake Travis, outside Austin, Texas, was a good diving lake, at one time. Lots of boat and PWC traffic on weekends, but not much on week days. I've seen 30+ feet visibility in the fall, before turnover, and there are some cool features at Windy Point and the Grottos. You can easily do deep dives to over 100 ft by the dam. Good food, nearby, and camping, as well.

I don't know about that any more. It's been pretty low. I have to disagree in general with Lake Travis being a desirable dive destination, but these are only opinions, so...

In the same general area, aquarena springs is by far my favorite dive site, but it is restricted to divers that have taken their specific course and are willing to volunteer to clear invasive plants from the spring.

I don't know about that any more. It's been pretty low. I have to disagree in general with Lake Travis being a desirable dive destination, but these are only opinions, so... In the same general area, aquarena springs is by far my favorite dive site, but it is restricted to divers that have taken their specific course and are willing to volunteer to clear invasive plants from the spring.
Well, it used to be pretty good, for a lake! It was ~200 ft, right by the dam. It can't be that low!

From my experience swimming, not diving, L. Superior is very clear (and cold). Michigan & Huron not too bad either. Would probably avoid the other 2, but I'm no expert.

Lakes Erie and Ontario have gotten a lot clearer over the last 20 years or so because of the Zebra Mussels filtering the water.

Lakes Erie and Ontario have gotten a lot clearer over the last 20 years or so because of the Zebra Mussels filtering the water.
Lake Ontario not good. I live 5 min from the lake and the viz is awful at least right now it is. Too much agile

Sent from my galaxy S5 Active.

Lake Ontario and even better the St Lawrence river are great options. The river does not have a thermocline and gets relatively warm, 74 the other night. the viz can be bad in the prime of the season, but if you do not mind colder water diving the river early and late in the season when the water temps are still in the low 60's allows for decent vis.

Not sure if its been mentioned but the viz near Tobermory on Lake Huron/Georgian Bay is great, and there's lots of wrecks to look at :D

Back
Top Bottom