Noisy M1 seconds- too hot?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

After playing with them again, went out this morning, at depths above 10m thru breathe like a dream at depths below they stutter and whistle...any ideas? IP 140, cracking 1.2", is it lever height that's causing the issue? Still too high perhaps? Pointers, advice appreciated. Cheers.

Had a long play with them after yesterday's dive. I'm convinced lever height is my issue. I tuned it just shy of a leak and tapping diaphragm very gently I now seem to have about .5-1mm of play between lever and diaphragm. Find it hard to believe that they are this finicky and the working range is so small. Still not convinced I'm doing it right.

Next step will be to pull them apart and re service although not sure what that's going to achieve given they were just serviced.

Just to be clear, as a rule are they smooth, consistent, quiet breathers at all depths? I've never encountered this before with any reg I've ever owned.

They are not Ferrari's are they? Cheers

Update:

Pulled them apart, cleaned, installed a new kit, used christo lube, tuned and on land they "seem" to be working fine save a stiff adj knob which I'll re lube.

I think I messed them up with my first attempt at tuning, added silicone grease on top of the christolube thinking lack of lube was the issue which may have exacerbated my issue. Also did it on my lounge floor so can't be sure I didn't pick up fluff.

The servicing I just did, was methodical done with surgical precision in a sterile environment, as it should have been done in the beginning (hand hitting forehead)

I'll dive them Saturday and post back for anyone curious. Cheers.

Think I got them sorted, rebuilt the one that seemed to be playing up the most.

As you know sold them in the end, didn't like the breathing characteristics, I could notice differences in air flow at varying depths. Perhaps I'm just too used to Apeks and SP. Learnt some new things, not a waste of time, but Atomic not for me.

That’s the automatic depth-compensating Venturi adjust on the Atomics. On my Scubapros and Dep 6 regs, I turn the Venturi all the way on on my primaries at the start and all the way off on my octos.

I wish I could turn my Atomic all the way on in the primary. I was thinking about getting the depth compensating plug and just cutting out the vane. It’s not really a big deal though.

Think I got them sorted, rebuilt the one that seemed to be playing up the most.

As you know sold them in the end, didn't like the breathing characteristics, I could notice differences in air flow at varying depths. Perhaps I'm just too used to Apeks and SP. Learnt some new things, not a waste of time, but Atonic not for me.
Stick with Apeks, mate!

Back
Top Bottom