noise maker

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nuts4corals

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
so unto now I was using a simple carabiner attached to my "d" ring... however this gets rusted all the time...wondering what people are using as noisemaker?

so upto now I was using a simple carabiner attached to my "d" ring... however this gets rusted all the time...wondering what people are using as noisemaker?

BTW I hate noisemakers and if you ask me how many times I actually used one... NEVER.

However, as a solo diver with a different dive buddy almost every dive I want to put a noisemaker on them. lol. I have had anywhere from very attentive dive buddies to swim away 50 feet away dive buddy.

Last edited:
Way to many shakers put they pale in comparison to the under water horns, they can annoy the entire reef. The simplest is a brass double ender on your D ring, it has multiple uses.​

Not a fan of seeing/hearing noisemakers, shakers, tank bangers, quackers, on anything scuba. One of the prime reasons I engage in this sport is for the silence and tranquility, not for the constant pings or dings I hear from other divers.

Most divers seem to be pretty good at not over-using noisemakers. The most obnoxious use of noisemakers seems to be from DMs leading groups. I recall one dive hearing the DM make such a constant racket I thought I was going to lose it. "Silence and tranquility," as scbaNE2179 put it.

Most divers seem to be pretty good at not over-using noisemakers. The most obnoxious use of noisemakers seems to be from DMs leading groups.

This is an unfortunate reality when you are diving with larger dive ops that cater to beginner divers.

I would love to see a CCR diver who uses a tank banger. I would laugh my ass off then give them a really dirty and confused look.

I've got a dive buddy who uses a dive alert attached to his inflator hose. Sounds like a duck under the water and I pretty much always know it's him if I hear it.
I have a whistle that sounds under the water if you blow it, but in my head, it's reserved for issues/signaling at the surface.
That being the case, I've found that simply banging my light (which is usually in my hand) against my tank is sufficient to get someone's attention.

I've tried the plastic ball on the elastic around your tank, and I used a short aluminum rod on a string for awhile.
But had repeated students ignore or not register the "tic, tic, tic" that they made underwater.
Shifted to a clank shaker, which seems better, as the higher frequency of "tics" when you shake it seems to register better with instabuddies. With a regular buddy, virtually any agreed method will work.

I use a tank banger for students, only if they totally don't pay attention. Or if something really cool swims behind my man and he doesn't see it. I hate the quacking things. WAY to loud! I've been around a group of +16 friends diving together, all quacking each other... Why oh why did they need to quack?

Nothing...noisemakers are annoying, and unnessecary.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom