Nocturnal lights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey guys,

Sorry but the scuba board discount is no longer valid but we still have some of the demo units available. Let me know if you guys have any specific questions and i'll be more than happy to help. The twin beams are usually used for photo/videos, so if you are not using it for that purpose just go ahead and get the single head TL lights.

The battery packs all comes with a chip so it's typically not a good idea to build your own. If you're looking for something with a long burn time and not have to worry about buying new rechargeable batteries, check out the SLX. You could use any AA batteries with it.

Check out the signature for the discount :)

NLI Tim:
Check out the signature for the discount :)
Tim,
I'm very pleased to see the 15% off deal reinstated. If only I had not started gathering parts for a do-it-yourself dive light. If my project turns out as badly as my friends are suggesting it might, I hope your coupon will still be valid. Your lights seem well thought out, and seem to be a good value also.

I'm looking forward to some ScubaBoard members buying the lights, and posting their opinions. The reviews I've seen are all positive to date.

Rev. Blade,

Thanks for considering our light. I am hoping that more of our customers will come on here and post their reviews. You can also find some of the reviews in our testimonials section of our site :)

Hey Tim, I just got the light from you guys,
There was a small problem tho, i turned on the light with 50 watt bulb in it, the light intensity seemed to flash at a high frequence. when i replaced the bulb with a 20-watt,it does not flash anymore. Since i have 2 50-watt bulb in my package, I replaced the bulb with the other 50-watt, still the light was flashing at a high frequency.
is it normal?
I just tried 20-watt bulb again, and it was flashing too.This is a demo light and could it be that the battery is low right now?

Hi Jimmy,

Chances are its becuase the battery is low right now, so make sure you read the instruction carefully and charge the battery. Feel free to email me if the problem still exists, I will be more than happy to troubleshoot it for you.

Tim

Hey Tim, you are absolutely right. I recharged my light and it no longer flashes. Just one more question: is it OK to turn on the light and discharge it in air?(at home)
thx

oh man, I turned on the light and submerged it in my bath tub to see how long the battery really lasts, around about 30 minutes the light suddenly turned off. after a few minute i was able to turn on the light back on. however, i realised that the reflector part of the lamp had 2 cracks....
i immediately turn off the light, waited for the light to cool and then took the lamp out and throwed it away.

i paied extra attention not to touch the lamp while installing it onto the light.
any comments to what has happened?
thx tim

Hi Jimmy,

Upon really hard impact or really high heat the reflectors might crack, and that usually doens't happen if you discharge the lamp in the air (without the cover on) or in the water. If you need a set of new bulbs I can either send them to you or you can pick them up at the home-depot or any hardware store, they're the MR16 bulbs and they should be $3-5 each. Cycle the battery a couple of times and the burn time should be around 45 minutes when you use the 50w bulbs.

Tim, I tried to start a new thread about your lights and hoped you'd see it, but you didn't. Not intending to hyjack this one, but can you compare your LED lights to your Halogen ones? Brightness, battery durability, etc? Would you recommend one over the other?

Hi DivemMaven,

Sorry I didn't get an email for this thread so it took me a while to realize that smoeone asked me a question. Well, the two lights basically have different characteristics and tradeoffs, depending on what kind of dive you do I can tell you which light is better. Otherwise it's difficult to say, but generally with the halogen lights you can get a brighter light with a higher wattage bulb. Since the SLX uses AA (alkaline, lithium, or any rechargeable) batteries it has an advantage over the rechargeables.

Back
Top Bottom