NOAA Diving Manual 6th Edition Free pdf link?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So, that's a different setup than the US Navy Diving Manual. Is there a Government Contract in regard to the Private Publisher of the NOAA Divers Manual? No Bid?
Mostly likely there is a contract. Most likely it is competitive. Why don't you ask the publisher if you are really curious?

Bids are not always required for government work. The rules and exceptions can get complicated. I have a "sole source" exemption contract in my old files. Basically, it meant that a very large part of our federal government was just too *ing dumb to find anyone else to fill their request. (How they found me, I never did know, but since they were amazed to find I'd filled the contract at 1/5th the price of the last guy, I wasn't too upset about being the sole source.)

Perhaps more to the point, unless the OP actually requires the NOAA manual, i.e. in order to read it and be qualified as a NOAA contractor or trainee? It might be more to the point to ask if there are any differences between the NOAA manual and the USN manual.

Some years ago when agency names were being reshuffled, I had some military nimrod with an attitude about civilians (who they now had to deal with) trying to tell me that a large publication which had been public domain for decades, was now "their" copyright because it had their logo on every new chapter page, and no one else could use their logo. Uh-huh. Mr. Nimrod was not from the JAG, nor was he a lawyer. Apparerntly not an officer and gentleman, either. Let's just say, eventually his attitude got corrected and the PDF has been available again without any issues.

If the OP isn't "required to have on board" the NOAA manual, it probably can also be obtained IN PRINT FOR FREE by asking a local reference librarian to request an "interlibrary loan" of the book. That's (shh!) a free resource that allows most libraries to borrow things from all over the state, country, and world.

There is quite a bit of difference between the NOAA and US Navy Diving Manuals. I did find the latest 7th edition of the latter. I have the 5th edition of the former but not the latest 6th edition. Simply looking for a source. We can only borrow books for 2 weeks from the local library and I was hoping to have it around a little longer. My job is so busy it's hard for me to read over 100 pages a week and the NOAA Diving Manual is over 500 pages.

proton-
Ask your reference librarian, you never know. Sometimes items they get through the loan program and automatically good for 30 days, and OFTEN if the item has no one waiting for it, that can be reviewed and extended. Always worth asking.

Yeah, I’m headed to the library with the kids tomorrow, I’m going to check and see. If nothing else get an ILL and compare the 5th and 6th to see if there is any significant difference.

In the unlikely event that they hired a competent contractor...there should be redlining, strikethroughs, other conventional tools indicating what has been deprecated and what has been added. (Hey, stop laughing! It could happen, just like winning the MegaLotto!)

Unfortunately the NOAA website is shut down right now so I can't check with the Agency. I found a free pdf download of the 5th edition a couple of places including here http://tecvault.t101.ro/NOAA Diving Manual.pdf
My first time seeing this but was gobsmacked to have such useful information. Wondering if someone knows where the 6th maybe as a free online pdf. I searched google and couldn't come up with anything other than pay for like $120 stuff. I'll stick with the 5th if it come down to it. Thanks for your help!
Turns out....the pdf you found is the Fourth (2001), not Fifth Edition. and it is not complete...it is missing all the Appendices, which is where the things like dive tables are.
There is no known free pdf of the 5th (2013) or 6th (2017) editions.
When the new editions come out, there are new chapters/appendices and some old ones are removed. Wikipedia speaks of this.
Best Publishing is the source, directly from them or Amazon.
You can get the 5th (not latest) edition in paperback used for under $20. Amazon.com: Buying Choices: NOAA Diving Manual 5th Edition

Turns out....the pdf you found is the Fourth (2001), not Fifth Edition. and it is not complete...it is missing all the Appendices, which is where the things like dive tables are.
There is no known free pdf of the 5th (2013) or 6th (2017) editions.
When the new editions come out, there are new chapters/appendices and some old ones are removed. Wikipedia speaks of this.
Best Publishing is the source, directly from them or Amazon.
You can get the 5th (not latest) edition in paperback used for under $20. Amazon.com: Buying Choices: NOAA Diving Manual 5th Edition
Dang the luck. I just started reading from the first page and didn't check for the appendices. Thanks for the link to the 5th. I've got one for $17.17 on the way.

Does anyone know the differences between the 5th and 6th editions? I am looking for things relevant to CCR diving including decompression and trimix. The Amazon blurb says the 6th has updated chapters that include rebreathers. I just don't know if the updated information is worth the extra price. I can get the 5th edition for half the cost, and the "updates" might be insignificant.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom