(No) Oil in the Keys

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Might want to confirm the source first, IJS.

Our sources here in the Upper Keys are the Dive Shops and the Environmental people out on our boats who have come in to help report back. And of course our locals with camera's out on the waters fishing and diving. Commerical Fisherman as well. We are all concerned about this.

Our sources here in the Upper Keys are the Dive Shops and the Environmental people out on our boats who have come in to help report back. And of course our locals with camera's out on the waters fishing and diving. Commerical Fisherman as well. We are all concerned about this.

As well you should be, but some 17 year old kid who has a friend who has a friend that saw a slick that didn't even appear to be oil is hardly a reason to start scaring the crap out of everyone.

DATE: May 19, 2010 14:44:51 CST
NOAA Observations Indicate a Small Portion of Light Oil Sheen Has Entered the Loop Current
Deepwater Horizon Incident
Joint Information Center

NOAA's latest observations indicate that a small portion of the oil slick has reached the Loop Current in the form of light to very light sheens.

In the time it would take for oil to travel to the vicinity of the Florida Straits, any oil would be highly weathered and both the natural process of evaporation and the application of chemical dispersants would reduce the oil volume significantly. However, the oil may get caught in a clockwise eddy in the middle of the gulf, and not be carried to the Florida Straits at all.

Oil entrained in the Loop Current would require persistent onshore winds or an eddy on the edge of the Loop Current for it to reach the Florida shoreline. If this were to occur, the weathered and diluted oil would likely appear in isolated locations in the form of tar balls.

The Coast Guard has confirmed that the tar balls collected yesterday in the Florida Keys did not originate with the BP oil spill.

Both the location of the Loop Current and location of the oil slick are dynamic and constantly changing. NOAA tracks the location of the surface oil daily through analysis of satellite imagery, observer over flights with helicopters and fixed wing aircraft, as well as advanced sensing technology on aircraft.

The Loop Current is an area of warm water that comes up from the Caribbean, flowing past the Yucatan Peninsula and into the Gulf of Mexico. From there, it generally curves east across the Gulf and then flows south parallel to the west Florida Coast, as it flows between Florida and Cuba it becomes the Florida Current as it moves through the Florida Straits, where it finally joins the Gulf Stream as it travels up the Atlantic Coast.

We also continue to assess the contingency plans in potentially impacted areas, and we are working with our state and local partners, as well as BP, as the responsible party, to pre-stage boom and other resources as we have been from the beginning of this response.

For information about the response effort, visit Deepwater Horizon Response.

Oh I get what your TRYING to say but I and a lot of the other people reporting it live here. We don't see random tar balls and oil slicks in our waters everyday. If we did that would be one thing but really come on. :shakehead: So what are you saying we have pink crap floating in our waters and black balls as well everyday... Tell me Brian when is the last time you dove in a pink oil sleek here in the Keys....

Boats use diesel fuel that doesn't have road tax included and it's dyed red so they know it hasn't been taxed. Get caught with red fuel in your car/truck, get ready to pay some hefty fines. Are you learning something yet??
Red diesel fuel appears pink when poured on the water. I'll go out on a limb here and say someone either dumped some boat diesel or scuttled a vessel down there. Gulf crude is somewhere between light and dark brown.

Tar balls are a fact of life on the beach.

As far as other people reporting it "live", the spearboard thread was "reported" by a 17 year old who "reported" his friend saw it and it was only a mile long (think 50 or 100 gallons leaking out of a sunken vessel). You tell me, is that "live" reporting?? Have you seen it??

The USCG has gone on record with some serious information and predictions for Florida, finally. More about this at:
Oil Spill - Florida, Cuba, Bahamas & Eastern Seaboard Prospects, Deep Horizon Blowout - Page 2 - FKA Kiteboarding Forums

There is a Keys group organized to help in the spill response. I suspect they may need as much good help as they can come by if serious quantities of tar balls arrive. Time will tell on that. If you can help, please do. More at:
Keys Oil Spill Volunteer Relief

Last edited:
As far as other people reporting it "live", the spearboard thread was "reported" by a 17 year old who "reported" his friend saw it and it was only a mile long (think 50 or 100 gallons leaking out of a sunken vessel). You tell me, is that "live" reporting?? Have you seen it??

If only Freud were alive to study that "interesting" group...:shocked2:

So the take away From the OP is Don't go to the key's!?!? But doesn't the OP works in keys tourism industry? HMMM I don't get that one. That is like me telling people if they learn to scuba they will be eaten by a shark. Kind of counter productive if you ask me. I guess the keys are just TOO busy and could use a rest from all of the visitors they are having these days.

So the take away From the OP is Don't go to the key's!?!? But doesn't the OP works in keys tourism industry? HMMM I don't get that one. That is like me telling people if they learn to scuba they will be eaten by a shark. Kind of counter productive if you ask me. I guess the keys are just TOO busy and could use a rest from all of the visitors they are having these days.

I don't get it either. Possibly one of the most counterproductive posts I've ever seen, and based entirely on speculation.

Just because he is 17 he still lives here and loves his home and waters. He is always out on the water and spearing. As many many, many others in the Middle and Lower Keys. Do I trust him? Yes He is a great kid and would never steer other spearo's wrong. He is NOT that kind of a kid. Very respectful young man. Further more he even had pictures to post to show the oil and tar.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom