(No) Oil in the Keys

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, we had the great pleasure of diving this week with Abyss Dive center in Marathon and Dive Duck Key. Cannot speak enough of how great and pleasurable the dive and company was... Both are such great people and services were awesome!! Cannot wait to be back. Vis was 100+ and plenty of fish and life to see!! Thanks sooo much

Hi all. I've been following this thread with great interest. Lot's of great info and insight from you all.

I'm planning to be in the Keys diving from June 15 - 22 and I'm wondering what your expert opinions are at this point? What are the chances that diving will be affected then? I see a lot about oil sheen and tar balls in the loop current - would those items even prevent diving if they get to the Keys?

Thanks in advance,
Chris

Well Chris, I can't answer your questions but did you know that ScubaBoard has Invade The Keys the weekend you're here? Why don't you join us, at least for one of the parties if your diving is already sewn up.

So far as the oil, we're just praying, that's all. So far all is clean.

Hi all. I've been following this thread with great interest. Lot's of great info and insight from you all.

I'm planning to be in the Keys diving from June 15 - 22 and I'm wondering what your expert opinions are at this point? What are the chances that diving will be affected then? I see a lot about oil sheen and tar balls in the loop current - would those items even prevent diving if they get to the Keys?

Thanks in advance,
Chris

Well Chris, I can't answer your questions but did you know that ScubaBoard has Invade The Keys the weekend you're here? Why don't you join us, at least for one of the parties if your diving is already sewn up.

So far as the oil, we're just praying, that's all. So far all is clean.

Chris,

Info is here: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/invade-keys/319401-invade-keys-2010-june-18-21-a.html

It would be great if you could join us!

As far as the models go, the oil won't get that far south for another month . . . . but who knows for sure? :idk:

Thanks for the info. I'll check it out. We do have all our dives already booked, but...

Also, thanks for the votes of confidence that no oil will be there. From all the info I've read, it looks pretty safe to still come down and obviously, with this big event you have planned, you'll be doing lots of praying as well. However, I still like hearing from those who are way more familiar with the territory, currents, etc than I am.

More opinions are still appreciated. I hate the anxiety of wondering too much!

Cheers.

i firmly believe the keys are safe from oil contamination for at least the next few weeks. beyond then, the NOAA and MOTE employees(monitoring the tortugas and marqueses keys) iv'e yacked with, have no idea if or when the spill will impact monroe county and east coast. yesterday and today conditions were stellar: 100+ viz on deep and 70+ on shallow molasses today(mdt current) with 50-60FT yesterday @ deep south carysfort(blacktip and reef sharks, eagle rays and 2 lionfish(juvenille and adult). WX looks good thru at least this coming SAT. enjoy your'e trip,,,,,,

reefman
key largo

Last edited:
i firmly beleive the keys are safe from oil contamination for at least the next few weeks. beyond then, the NOAA and MOTE employees(monitoring the tortugas and marqueses keys) iv'e yacked with, have no idea if or when the spill will impact monroe county and east coast. yesterday and today conditions were stellar: 100+ viz on deep and 70+ on shallow molasses today(mdt current) with 50-60FT yesterday @ deep south carysfort(blacktip and reef sharks, eagle rays and 2 lionfish(juvenille and adult). WX looks good thru at least this coming SAT. enjoy your'e trip,,,,,,

reefman
key largo

Wow, thanks! Hope those hold through ITK!

My trip is the 6th - the 12th. I have been following the spill at least daily. Does anyone have a good source that they are following. I spoke with a shop in Key West who stated that even if the oil gets in the loop, the gulf stream is 100 miles south of Key West and that the oil would not effect the diving? Any opinions on that statement. Thanks

My trip is the 6th - the 12th. I have been following the spill at least daily. Does anyone have a good source that they are following. I spoke with a shop in Key West who stated that even if the oil gets in the loop, the gulf stream is 100 miles south of Key West and that the oil would not effect the diving? Any opinions on that statement. Thanks

I believe he meant Cuba (easily confused with an oil slick) :confused:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom