No more insta-buddies

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just want to say "thanks" to the OP for posting this here, so other divers will read it. I'm sure you've raised the consciousness of at least a few divers who might now rethink their buddy practices the next time they find themselves in an instabuddy situation.

I've done lots of dives with instabuddies (and I personally love that word, hyphenated or not - it's just captures the essence of the unique relationship!). Most have been great, several not so great, a couple disastrous. I thoroughly agree with Bubbletrubble's list of questions to ask an instabuddy. I learned the hard way NEVER to assume that other dives know (or remember) what's "the norm" - e.g. surfacing after 1 minute if you lose your buddy, etc. Never assume they have common sense, either. Everything should be discussed upfront - and if the instabuddy seems to feel you are doing overkill in the pre-dive discussion, then end the relationship, because that's not somebody you want to buddy with. I've had that happen - if my new buddy displays the slightest indication of not taking the pre-dive discussion seriously, then I'm not diving with that person.

Even with the pre-dive talk, things can still go wrong on the dive. If they do, then I will want to talk about it in detail before the next dive. If my instabuddy doesn't see a problem, or clearly state what he/she will do differently on the next dive, then I will not dive with them again.

I've been doing lots of instabuddy diving lately - I've been helping out in the galley for a local dive boat, so I've been going without my usual buddy, and finding buddies on the boat. And I'll be doing it again next weekend. So this is an issue that is very much at the forefront of my thoughts right now.

Thats pretty much what I had said earlier and I agree completely. I may notbe as tactful as some others but it is my dive as well. Are you diving out of Ventura, if so what boats are still up there, Peace, Spectre ?

Thats pretty much what I had said earlier and I agree completely. I may notbe as tactful as some others but it is my dive as well. Are you diving out of Ventura, if so what boats are still up there, Peace, Spectre ?

I do go on the Ventura boats as often as possible - mostly Peace, occasionally Raptor and Spectre. But lately I've been going on Mr. C out of San Pedro, as it was bought by new owners and I've been helping them out a bit as they get the business kick-started again. Come join us sometime - I'll be your instabuddy! :D

You can learn a lot of things from insta-buddies. Some times its a better way of doing things and some times its never do it that way.

I do go on the Ventura boats as often as possible - mostly Peace, occasionally Raptor and Spectre. But lately I've been going on Mr. C out of San Pedro, as it was bought by new owners and I've been helping them out a bit as they get the business kick-started again. Come join us sometime - I'll be your instabuddy! :D
Gosh I remember Eric when he was a deck hand on the Scuba Luvr, that was a long time ago and I believe Steve is still on the Peace as well, he certified my son years some years back through Sea d Sea in Redondo. I also dove the Mr C a number of time as well but it was at 22nd St then. I dove the Peace a lot but it still belonged to Bill Magee I believe was his name. As far as an instabuddy, thanks for the offer and if I feel froggy I will send a note for sure.
Bill

Though I guess the potential would still exist, it's been my experience that DIR style divers tend to migrate toward and dive with other DIR style divers. Thus eliminating the problem with the poorly skilled "insta-buddy".

Should Insta-buddy be hyphenated or not?

LOL.

It's probably not a real word anyway.

Although, 7 years ago a business associate would not allow his wife to buddy with me because I had a 5ft hose and was breathing nitrox.

Four of us were on his boat, diving 2 up and 2 down with him or his wife at the helm.

i agree, the dark side is a huge advantage against the "instabuddy" issue (still dont like this word, means too much and always 2 sides of a story ;-)
But jedi knights (or sith?) are still a small minority (except as posters on this board) and in many places world wide, but also on regular SoCal boats, you just often dive with people you don't know (if you wand a buddy).
Outside US, when people dive in group with a DM, the risk is more on the instaDM, and to my little experience, this seems as risky as instabuddy.
When it happens, you just need to cope with it and be careful. Most of the time, all this pre-dive long check is a myth. People just won't do it, and you get lucky to get a standard BWARF check. If you insist, it's pretty obvious you may ended up being the "instabuddy" in someone else story. Yes you have option 1 to not dive. Give me a break, we are talking about simple rec dive and you want to be in the water !
It's sometime a fine line to cope with reality !

So I'm weak: when I end up with a buddy I dont enjoy diving with for whatever reason (It has been pretty rare around here), then I move on and join another group for the next dive.

And this weakness had me go to the dark side ;-)

I think it's worth mentioning that there really isn't a "bad" instabuddy as obviously different people prefer to dive differently. ok, some people might be so idiotic as to be certifiably BAD but most people just have their own way of doing things. The key is to communicate up front and get a sense of what style people like to dive and then decide if you want to buddy-up.

Not everyone wants their buddy sticking to them like glue. Not everyone is going to feel the need to do constant air checks on their buddy. etc.

I'm not saying that's good or bad, just that there's no one way to do things. The key is communication.

I agree that instabuddies can provide valuable learning experiences. However, it also provides opportunity for massive failure. Fine line that I don't particularly enjoy walking.

As I stated, in a group of two, this person might be a GREAT buddy. However, because he joined an existing group, I can only think he had the mind set "they'll be fine together" and not realizing we take responsibility for each other....no matter how long we've been diving together. Once you start a dive with me, you're my buddy regardless of how many others I am diving with.

I dove with someone I'd never met again today. Buddy skills were fine but individual skills lacking. Panicked easily (coughing set it off on first dive) and ended the 2 dives very early (this diver skipped dive 2). The 2nd time it was a queazy feeling resulting from surge which was VERY minor. Then proceeded to eat cake and ice cream. LOL I'd much rather have someone that thumbs the dive early even for minor reasons but does so correctly than someone that, as an individual, is a great diver but lacks the buddy skills. Fortunately I had another buddy that I'm used to so we had a great 2nd dive.

Alll I can add is that intelligence is water soluable. You my OP have DM qualities as you actually watch your instabuddy, and that is really the biggest part of what we do.

I have seen people with (insert huge amout of dives here) do the most stupid things. How about hangina camera on a barrel sponge so they can have a self picture. I have be face planted by I cant tell you how many divers. We preach awareness in our classes, but then again

Colo_diver...thanks for the compliment. We'll just say eventually on the DM part. :D Still have to finish rescue.

I forgot to mention regarding the new buddy in my last post, she quickly pulled out her large knife on dive 1 and cut up an urchin for the garibaldi to eat. I told her when diving with me, if it doesn't happen naturally, don't make it happen. Her response was, "what about to look at things? I dove with (instructor's name) he was able to pick up a horn shark so we all could see it. It was cool!!"

Take nothing but picture, leave nothing but bubbles. I think that includes finger prints (even gloved).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom