No more insta-buddies

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here's a question to challenge the "dark side" philosophy:

If someone trains in a system that has team interdependance as it's core principle winds up in a situation where they are paired with someone with poor buddy skills, are they more at risk than a person who trains within a system that emphasizes independance as its guiding principle?

This isn't such a crazy question for those divers who regularily destination dive and may not know with whom they may be diving. What would dark side divers do in that situation seeing as only a small % of divers are trained that way; call the dive? If everything one learns is intertwined with the concept of a team working together, what happens when you wind up in a team that doesn't? Does one secretly strap on a pony and hope it doesn't get back to HQ?

Because I dive with a diverse group of people and also solo I think long and hard about independance and adaptability. I think I may be a competent buddy for others but I don't want to put my safety (or even my routine procedures) in someone elses hands. I also know that one reason the dark side feels safer is that most people in that group self select from within the group. That's a good idea when it works but for many divers that discrimination simply isn't possible (or even preferable). I'm glad I can dive with people from many agencies and would hate to think I had to select from a certain subset. Particularily seeing as most of the people in that subset wouldn't want to do the dives I want to do anyways.

Just something to think about and I'm only acting as a foil to stimulate conversation as I like the dark side plenty and don't really see anything wrong with it at all. however, I do not see it as the be all, end all panacea of diving.

Back
Top Bottom