No more cold hands & feet !!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Look at it this way; it's 2lbs of buoyancy you can add to your head, and 2lbs of ballast to add down low... It's like the secret head-down trim-fixer :D

Also I doubt anyone needs to tell me to keep my head up anymore :wink:

Peter C, TSandM, Camerone, dannobee, limeyx, and hoyden." Now how did your name get into the mix if you do not own one?
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/exposure-suits/216794-otter-bay-12mm-hood-review.html

I'll add in BenV, DocWong, and Don to others that recommend the hood :). Have seen it on at least a dozen other local tech divers that swear by it.

1/2 way through the dive I noticed a small air space in the hood. I pushed it to release the trapped air - as the bubbles moved around my scalp, the trapped air felt like warm sauna air - really nice :)

The helmet is great!! My neck is small (much smaller than my head), so I can't get it on without lubing it up somehow. It used to be like a torture device, ripping hairs out and straining my neck just to get the stupid thing on....a little water/conditioner mix and it's great.

Keeps my head so warm....even keeps my head dry most of the time (one of my buddies was so surprised when I pulled the thing off and he saw dry hair! :wink:).

Hmmm. My friends have been telling me for years to do this, and I haven't because my 7/5 fits me well. Maybe I should just pull the trigger. (Although adding two MORE pounds of weight sounds dreadful.) There's not much else I can do -- already in drysuit with Pillsbury Doughboy undergarments, dry gloves, and argon . . .

I'm a bit curious if the added warmth from the new hood will eliminate the need for some of the other insulation? I can check it out in a few weeks.

1/2 way through the dive I noticed a small air space in the hood. I pushed it to release the trapped air - as the bubbles moved around my scalp, the trapped air felt like warm sauna air - really nice :)

Some people put holes in their hood to let the air out. The Otter Bay does not flex or expand so the size of the air bubble can not get big. I find the air keeps my head warmer, and like you if my ears get a chill I push down on my hood to cover them in warm air :D

After seeing Kathy's new hood, I think that I need a new one as well. Of all the drysuit expenses, the Otter Bay hood is definitely the best bang for the buck. I always liked how the top of my head was dry afterwards.

I wonder how many of Cricket's customers will now claim they have TMJ...

I use the Viking latex dry hood with the plastic dog collar and throwaway neck seal.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom