No mask, No reg at depth.........

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dvr4lyf

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
This was last year in Florida,
I was diving with my LDS on vacation with my wife ( who does'nt currently dive).
We had just finished a wreck dive on the Sea Emperor and were on our way to our second dive. For our next dive it was to be a drift dive approx. 1 mile and everything was beautifull!!!!! The total in our group was roughly about 15 which as anyone knows leaves a third wheel- me. About halfway through the dive my mask was really irritating my face for some reason. I've had this mask for just a short time- about a year- and have done several shallow dive with it and was quite comfortable with my choice. I just was going to remove it for some reliefe and reposition it after clearing it when I dropped it at depth. I opened my eyes to see if I could locate it when I jerked my head too quickly and my reg came out as well. Now I'm in trouble!!!!!!!!! At depth with no buddy within 3 meters. When I remembered my training - roughly 2 years old- the "reg sweep" work every time!!!! Now that I have air again time to focus on seeing correctly. I found my mask on the ocean floor and all was well. Thank God for training!!! Something else I learned was refresher classes are always a good way to get wet, test out new equip, and keep skills fresh.

Good job! Stop and think, then react works!!!! I just wish you had had a buddy within your reach.

Sweep is good, but automatic for me would hopefully be to go to the safe second -- secure your air supply, then sweep for the missing primary.

I always carry a 2nd mask when diving at depth; and as noted, when deprived of your primary go for your octo before you do anything else.

First, great job remembering a skill that you hadn't practiced in a while (always tough).

Second, these type of stories make me glad I have my secondary on secured around my neck :)

I'm not allowed to say what jeckyll said yet.

Good story, good lesson...

Glad you're okay.

TSandM:
I'm not allowed to say what jeckyll said yet.

Jeckyll? As in the Doctor or Heckle's partner?

Swiftwater Rescue trick, old Navy (not the weenie clothing store) diver: Secure the mask by a short 16" lanyard, brass snaffle hook tagged off to neck ring bungee cord. Hang your Octo off of this as well.

A little more reasonable than dragging around a second mask.

(It also obviates the "mask on forehead" thread!)

Nice recovery, nevertheless.

Take a look at your mouthpiece and alternative choices on the market. I don't care what kind of cartoon-like double-take neck-snap you executed upon losing your mask- no proper mouthpiece would have become dislodged.

Glad you're still diving!

RoatanMan:
Swiftwater Rescue trick, old Navy (not the weenie clothing store) diver: Secure the mask by a short 16" lanyard, brass snaffle hook tagged off to neck ring bungee cord. Hang your Octo off of this as well.
Didn't know what you're talking about. Good thing I looked at your profile picture.

Are you the one on the left, or the right? eyebrow

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom