No mask, No reg at depth.........

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RoatanMan:
Jeckyll? As in the Doctor or Heckle's partner?

Does it really make a difference? But in case it does, as in Doctor. Mr. Hyde doesn't come diving, he only rears his ugly head in the pursuit of other hobbies.

TSnM: I don't think that my (and your :wink: ) gear config should necessarily be included in your 30 day vow of silence. I never took any classes to realize that there is something to be said for such a setup. :D

Bjorn

Is that seriously the only time you've lost your reg?

I swear, I can't go on a boat dive without it being yanked out at least once.

Good job! Losing both mask and reg is like the worst of the worst. Congratulations and kudos on the way you handled it. I was just practicing this scenario yesterday, in the pool. I tossed the mask away, and then spit out my reg. With eyes closed, I did the "sweep" stuck it back in, purged it, and then went in search of my mask. I ran through it several times. :)

Good recovery, very very scary losing both at once. Now you know you have control in a potential panic situation. Good on you.

You know I think it is time to buy a 2nd mask. Thinking about what happened I realize that there is a good chance that I would have been surfacing with no mask in this situation. If my mask goes accidently there is a good chance that my contacts are gone too. If mask and contacts are gone I am blind as a bat. Three maybe four inches tops after that we are talking vague shapes. Not going to go searching for my mask, however a backup in a pocket would allow me to find a lost mask.

Anyone wearing soft contacts lost a mask with no warning? What happens to contacts? I have always assumed there is a strong probablity that they would wash away too.

I have practiced removing and replacing the mask, but I am not into intentionally losing my contacts for practice. I do it with my eyes closed.

All this is why whenever there is the possibility of another diver kicking my mask off I put my hand on it. Would rather not lose the mask and have to surface. I have had it kicked loose, but have not yet lost one.

Darnold9999

I do pool swims without mask almost every week. My eyesight is as bad as yours an therefore I weare contacts. Over something like 8 years I only ever lost one lense. Just to be on the safe side I'm using onec only lenses. Mayby an idea also for you?

So don't be afraid of loosing your lenses as well.

Thanks, always wondered now I won't worry so much

Good recovery mav. I have seen divers who have bolted to the surface when something like this happens.

The basic skills we learn in out OW class is the start of mucsle memory development. When I was first certified, I was told by someone wiser than me to practice one basic skill every time I dove to reinforce this muscle memory. My girlfriend and I had performed this faithfully, and on the rare occasion when one of us has had a problem, was second nature to correct it. In addition.

Good habit to teach and get into.

Good job and congratulations on a nice recovery!

I have a prescription mask. Since I can't see very well without it and didn't want to take the chance of losing it altogether, I added one of the straps garanteed to float it to the surface if I loose it. (If the mask doesn't surface, the strap company claims they will replace it). I carry an extra mask in a small bag clipped to my backplate. I also have my primary second stage bungeed around my neck so that I can drop it without having to sweep or search to recover it. I also have a custom molded mouthpeice. It is more comfortable than the standard mouthpiece and I have never dropped my second stage accidently. :shades:

Back
Top Bottom