No LDS, Where to Get Tank Refilled?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Don't own a shop mr dork. I just see the value in one.

The Value?? Do you mean because that is where your paycheck comes from? Not that the value you see is in any way biased.

Al - I see nothing wrong with defending your employer's dive shop. But let's be above board on your motivations. And, rather than defending the LDS by unjustly criticizing online dealers, why don't you tell us how your shop competes on a value basis. Do you price match? Do you value match? How?

What is the value of paying 500.00 for a 150.00 wetsuit? Or 150.00 for a 50.00 mask? I can figure out how to put fins on without a shop employee's advice. What are you offering that I cannot find elsewhere besides the airfills. I have no desire to be a DM or instructor, my buoyancy is just fine, and I can learn to identify fish by reading a book. So far you are 0 for 4.

To answer the original question without getting in to the LDS vs. online debate, the alternative I chose when my closest LDS closed down was buying my own compressor and Nitrox continuous blending stick. Combined with the fact that the second closest LDS developed a monopoly attitude, simple convenience was the final motivating factor for me in buying my own compressor.

I may or may not ever recover my $3,500 investment, especially in the short run, but it sure is convenient filling my tanks to the pressure I want, with the Nitrox percentage I want, while I rinse my gear in the comfort of my own garage. My time alone is worth a great amount to me in terms of cost.

shotthebreeze:
Yep, my LDS is closing their doors, so I'm pretty much stuck.
I'm looking for a fill in CT and I know exactly where the dive shops are...45 minutes from my home, so finding one isn't the issue here.
Sorry to hear about the dive shop closing down. I hope it isn't one that is popular with other Scubaboard members in CT.

----------------------

Other places besides dive shops fill tanks.

As others have noted, some fire departments will use their scba setups to fill scuba tanks.

Other possibilities include ---

1. Figure out where a dive shop is located between your home and your dive spot. Fill up your tanks on the way back.

2. There are small shops that don't specialize in scuba that have compressors. In some cases they appear to be Kayak shops or windsurf shops and may not even advertise air fills. Talk with other local divers to find them.

3. You may be able to get air fills from dive boats. Or they may be able to point you to their fill supplier. Again, not all fill shops are part of a "dive shop".

4. Go to any marinas that are convenient to either your home or your dive locations. You may find guys that use scuba in their work -- whether lobster hunting, hull cleaning, or mooring installation and maintenance. They get their airfills somewhere.

========================

Or you can just grit your teeth and drive 45 minutes. :D

I DON'T recommend using someone that just fills paintball tanks, since they won't be as concerned about air quality ---- paintball guns are a lot more tolerant of residual oil than are your lungs.

I spent 2 years diving regularly and not getting any fills in or around the town I live in. I drove to the place I was going to dive (coast or quarry) and got fills there before and/or after the dive. Sometimes I would bring my tanks along on a trip if I was going somewhere anyway where I knew a reputable shop. It wasn't as convenient as having a reliable local shop, but it wasn't a big deal either.

When shops that are no where near dive destinations shop filling tanks, divers will get them filled closer to where they are diving. The vast majority of divers don't go jumping into random lakes or rivers (although that is fun). They dive at places that attract other divers and can provide fills.

Sorry to hear about the dive shop closing down. I hope it isn't one that is popular with other Scubaboard members in CT.

Actually Charlie we dont know about any dive shop closing in CT. Why isnt this posted on our NE Lobster Divers forum

:dork2: What is wrong with buying online? I had to pay 150$ for 50$ Fins and when I took my classes the teacher told me they were too small. The shop owner didnt accept refund or exchange even thought I didnt even got to wear them. I payed 100$ for a mask that when I looked on Leisurepro.com was 20$. It's not just some spare change. I had to have 2 bad experiences before asking my instructor for a good LDS and he pointed me to a SMALL shop and the guy there is super-nice and helps me with everything and tells me everything beforehand. I just bought a OMS spg at 100$ (fair deal its a bit more expensive but hes cool) and he fixed it DIR style and told me if I take the boot off it'll void the warranty. My Apeks regs are maintenanced annually at the shop #1 (the first one I went to) and I asked for the same thing its was 200$ and he told me he could take of the boot WITHOUT telling me anything about the warranty or explaining me anything else of the stuff the other dive shop explained. He was more like :eyebrow: I'll get this sucker's wallet . If I had such a bad experience with a LDS how do you expect me not to compare with Online store. And Online store are LDS too.
Maybe local shop should advertise on internet too . Its the laws of the market.

My 2 cents . AND please stop spamming this thread (like I JUST DID) and please ANSWER the man's question without being ASSES.

Ah and Drysuite that sell 500$ on LP are sold 1500$ ... And for people who wonder about reliability. Isn't it the same company that does the same BCD ,OCTO or Watchamacallit IN CHINA? So reliability as NOTHING to do with Internet resellers.
But supporting a good LDS is good too. I do. For things that are in my budget . (ya 600$ for a tranplate + backplate setup is kinda expensive when its 200$ on ScubaToys)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom