No LDS, Where to Get Tank Refilled?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We have one local club where the our dues pay for the operation of two large compressors. $10 a month and I have access to all the air I want 24/7. Nothing prohibits a bunch of divers getting together and doing this to get fills.

How does your club handle insuring against liability from operation of the compressor and dive accidents that might be considered related to the fill? ? (do you have liability insurace?)

just curious....

Operating costs here are undoubtedly especially high, because of both the heat and the humidity. Our Bauer Procon-Ten filter system demands new filters every six weeks or so, and down here they cost about $700 for the set of three. We reckon on a final stage rebuild every year or so, and in six years have completely revalved four times. And that's with a bank of 30 storage tanks. The main compressor is 26 cfm.

Awap - I wish you'd give it a rest. You don't have a clue what you're talking about. Or maybe you do for Texas, but guess what - there's a whole world out there beyond your borders! I've been diving today with Texan friends who have experience running dive centers (but not in Texas), and they have no problem recognising what I have been saying. A leading retail scuba shop here (not mine) run with very aggressive pricing and marketing, has just closed down.

How does your club handle insuring against liability from operation of the compressor and dive accidents that might be considered related to the fill? ? (do you have liability insurace?)

just curious....

Everyone fills their own and we are all required to be trained on the equipment and take a test. So, we are our own tank monkey and the air is tested monthly.

PADI didn't invent the online SCUBA course
... nor IMO do they do it very well. For years (at least 6) I've been operating my own semi-online theory class, which is no more than arranging for the student to get the printed material & DVDs at their home and to study them privately, with online access to me or one of my staff to give support/answer questions etc. But then I see them for all their water work, so they do get a personalised course.

AFAIK the takeup here of PADI eLearning has been quite low. I've had only a handful and I think that's everyone's experience.

Where are you in Boston? Or are you looking for a fill somewhere on the Cape? Tell use where you are and perhaps someone can point you to a diveshop that is closer than 45 minutes away. Or to one that is between your location and where you commonly dive.

What does "I'm an affiliate of Scubatoys and LeisurePro" mean???

It means if you click on one of his links and buy something, he gets a percentage. Just about anyone with a scuba related site can become an affiliate with ST or LP.

That is hilarious. But how long does a fill take for people still on dial-up?

It will depend on if you have a 24k or 56k modem and how often said modem drops the connection :dork2:

It will depend on if you have a 24k or 56k modem and how often said modem drops the connection :dork2:

56k?
I still have a CPM machine with a 300 baud, I won't live long enough to fill a pony:rofl3:

And if some guy is selling your $500 regulator for $300, that's another indicator you may not be in the right line of work.

Not as long as you're actually selling them.

In fact in nearly every way possible you are better off selling fewer units at a higher selling price. (Lower inventory costs, less shipping, less spoilage, lower selling costs, etc, etc) Sales volume in and of itself is less important than net profit per unit.

If you can add enough value to get people to pay $500 for a reg, go for it. If on the other hand you can't add value not only do you need to be selling it for $300, you had better pray that no one starts selling it for $299.50!

Not as long as you're actually selling them.

In fact in nearly every way possible you are better off selling fewer units at a higher selling price. (Lower inventory costs, less shipping, less spoilage, lower selling costs, etc, etc) Sales volume in and of itself is less important than net profit per unit.

If you can add enough value to get people to pay $500 for a reg, go for it. If on the other hand you can't add value not only do you need to be selling it for $300, you had better pray that no one starts selling it for $299.50!

Yes. But if you are successful selling them for $500, then you shouldn't be on this board crying about how the internet and reduced prices are killing your business.:lotsalove:

Back
Top Bottom