"no fly" time

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What does it involve ? I am already a guinea-pig apparently, maybe I can put that to a use :)

Ditto. Although you may not want me in any studies I know I'm a crappy off-gasser!

I cut and paste.

OK, 60 feet for 30 minutes puts you in group F. After 1 hour, you're now in group E. As a group E diver to 60 feet, you have 30 minutes RNT. Since the NDL at 60 ft is 60 minutes (straight US Navy, NAUI's limit is 55, YMCA's is 50), with a 30 minute dive, you will have pushed your NDL to the edge with no magrin of safety (not recommended), leaving you in group J at the end of the second dive (NAUI's tables would require a 5 minute stop at 15 ft). The NOAA tables would require 17 hours 35 minutes before ascending to 8000 feet.

I didn't mean for you to actually have to run the tables but saves me from yanking out the big NOAA book.

If I'm not mistaken, the difference in pressure between sea level and 8000 ft is the same as about 8½ fsw. It seems that you are missing the point. You are on a decompression dive. On a decompression dive, 8 or 9 feet can bend you. You are supersaturated and need quite a long staged decompression stop at the surface before you can continue to ascend. In this case, a 17 hour, 35 minute decompression stop. Skipping a long decompression stop like that is not a minor thing. Other issues is not the factor here.

So what kind of recreational dive are you planning on doing where 8 or 9 feet will bend you? I would like to make the distinction here between a strictly recreational dive profile and one in which you knowingly incur a decompression penalty where even the navy tables say you cannot ascend directly to the surface. (ie more than 120 rule)

48 hours is the time recommended before flying after exceptional exposure. It's also the length of time required to clear the 480 minute compartment.

Of course you know that compartments are mathematically modeled so it would be safe to say that we could include a 481 minute tissue model, or anything else.

By creating a waiting period after diving before we fly, we are selecting for intelligence, not an inherent ability (which probably does not exist) to not get bend. I like the idea of selecting for intelligence.

This last bit assumes that everything else you posit is correct and therefore by following it we would be selecting for intelligence. I don't agree with your premises or your conclusion that we are selecting for intelligence. I could also make the case that we are selecting for following rules, or not questioning dogma. The latter of which does not appeal to me.

crap, it still didn't come out in the cut and paste......... Walter, you will have to read your post above and see what I wrote in response to your points. Maybe we aren't selecting for intelligence on this issue afterall.......:)

GO! Airlines, Aloha Airlines, Hawaiian Air & Island Air all run planes with normally pressurized cabins.

Regards,

DocVikingo

GO! Airlines, Aloha Airlines, Hawaiian Air & Island Air all run planes with normally pressurized cabins.

Regards,

DocVikingo
By normally you mean 8,000 feet?

Walter, You are welcome for that one......usually you have to work a little harder but it is "be kind to seniors" week here in Canada.......(that was pretty funny wasn't it?)

But seriously, I am truly interested in this whole flying time thing as some pretty knowledgable people have posited some very different points of view. (I am not including myself in this btw). I have been very interested in the replys to some of the things I have been told.

What does it involve ? I am already a guinea-pig apparently, maybe I can put that to a use :)

FAD trial info is here. The surface interval is 8 hours now so the dive and flight are in one (long) day.

We have other fun ones as well...

FAD trial info is here. The surface interval is 8 hours now so the dive and flight are in one (long) day.

We have other fun ones as well...

Okay, I would like to fly to Palau and do some diving then fly home within 8 hours of my last dive. Do I just send in credit card slips for reimbursement or do you pay me in advance?:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom