No Diving on Meds!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Keep diving...there's plenty more craziness to be seen than that...just don't become one of the crazies... :D

Sometimes experienced divers become complacent regarding safety esp. when they're familiar with the area. They just become too comfortable-and careless

Diving just 2 weeks after a wisdom tooth is pulled to me is a problem in itself. I waited 8 weeks after mine to be sure it was healed. Diving on meds that you have just recently started especially antibiotics and pain meds is very risky for many reasons including allergic reaction which is sounds like she may have had. I admit I would have probably freaked and as a result gotten hurt if someone grabbed me and started hauling me to the surface when there was nothing wrong with me.

I feel sorry for the DM that tries that one on me. That's all I got to say. :D

I think what is important to remember is this. The DM was my dive buddy. The photog and the injured diver were buddies. When this was going on, the injured diver swam over to the DM and left her buddy at the wall so I saw the DM and her ascending after a struggle. There was no way that the DM was going to leave me, a new diver, on a night dive under the water by myself. I think it was a Catch 22 type of situation and I think he made the correct decision. the otehr diver was probably about 20 feet away taking pictures and not aware of what was happening until later.

Sounds like a comedy of errors to me. In fact, it sounds like the only one there who wasn't one of the comedians was you. Photog needs vastly improved buddy skills. Injured diver needs to not dive on pain meds or shortly after such a procedure. And I still maintain that the DM risked injuring a healthy diver and himself in order to perform a rescue on an already very likely injured diver. If she was already doing a rapid ascent from 25 ft, and the DM couldn't stop her, why would the DM also make a repid ascent, let alone grab another diver and take her along for the ride too? I am not saying he should have left you alone down there. I am saying that he shouldn't have been making a rapid ascent behind the injured diver himself. He should have gotten you, thumbed the dive, and made a safe ascent with you, then attended to the injured diver once on the surface. Keep in mind that even in this scenereo, the photog is still doing a solo night dive now because he wasn't paying any attention to his buddy. You did fine. I probably wouldn't dive with anyone you were in the water with that night, though.

Shangrl, Your Ursula Andress avatar is so cool! Oh, sorry-went off topic

Shangrl:
I think what is important to remember is this. The DM was my dive buddy. The photog and the injured diver were buddies. When this was going on, the injured diver swam over to the DM and left her buddy at the wall so I saw the DM and her ascending after a struggle. There was no way that the DM was going to leave me, a new diver, on a night dive under the water by myself. I think it was a Catch 22 type of situation and I think he made the correct decision. the otehr diver was probably about 20 feet away taking pictures and not aware of what was happening until later.

Yup, very bad form on the part of your buddy/DM (Notice I put buddy 1st). And I must agree with Gangrel441, many, many, DM's and instructors get overzealous and put themselves in danger.

I'm sure your buddy was well intentioned and probably helped the girl who lost her wisdom. But, it's ironic that I've treated more instructors in the chamber than new divers. Sadly enough it happens more because of complacency and the hero effect than DM's and Instructors just being in the water more (which happens too).

Back
Top Bottom