No ditchable weight

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you are in thin wetsuit, you may not be able to sustain your head out of water for too long by kicking especially when you tank isn't empty. In that case, a few lb of ditchable weight make a difference. I know it is worse case sceniro, but better to prepare for the worst.

I only dive in the tropics so I fall in this category. If I have a full tank or negatively buoyant tank and I'm struggling to keep my head above water then I would simply let all the air out as an empty tank or a tank at a reserve pressure of 500 psi should help you float.

In a situation where I'm struggling to keep my head above water, I would simply take off my bc and take out the weights (if they're in a hard to reach area like tank weights). with the weights off, then the rig should float or at least be neutrally buoyant. If not, and I'm still struggling for air, then I'll just ditch my whole rig - or at least which ever is still weighing it down.

If you're getting cold on the third dive, it sounds like you need more exposure protection.

don't read in to much on the getting cold.. as i said it isn't that bad and not an uncomfortable cold, just a cold that i can feel, as opposed to when i now get into the water where i feel no different...

also this happens on overcast days when its colder on the surface

we were doing 4 dives a day in Bonaire which are the same temps with no problems

but as mentioned before... Hood ftw!!!

Absolutely, it should have been said in your O/W course that 40% of your heat loss is through your blood rich head.

yea remembered that, but you know how somethings are classified for colder water diving and u never really take it on again :(

Back
Top Bottom