No depth gauge just computer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I can buy one. Many in fact. On Craigslist.

"You need a dive computer bc when you die or become incapacitated the authorities can figure out what happened to you" is a fairly pessimistic reason to get a dive computer.

I dived for years on the shallow shore dives Eric S. described above using just tables. Did not make my diving any less safe, as I was so shallow I never approached NDLs. I did this bc my DC died and I was too cheap to replace it. I figured I had a depth gauge (came with my used reg) add a cheap watch, go dive.

However, I did have to avoid some of the deeper local sites. When I had a trip to Hawaii planned, I bought a DC as I didnt want to miss out on any dive or dive time. No DC would have severely restricted my diving - no Sea Tiger, no Corsair, etc. And added benefit, now I can go to the deeper parts of some local sites - North Monastery, Point Lobos.

With DCs so cheap ($175 Puck Pro at LeisurePro) I wouldn't advise anyone not to get one. Especially if you dont already have a depth gauge & timer - the cost to just go ahead and get the DC is not that much more. However, if you are only doing shallow dives, it is possible to dive safely on tables.

Yes sir. I'm an engineer and when we started we had slide rules and whiz wheels. The kids now coming out of school would not know what to do without Excel and smartphones. It's called evolution.

all that does not answer my question about legality of people diving without a dive computer. Tables are still taught, timing devices are still used as are depth gauges.

I guess anyone not using a digital SPG an still uses the quite often inaccurate analogue SPG gauges need to get the the times as well.

all that does not answer my question about legality of people diving without a dive computer. Tables are still taught, timing devices are still used as are depth gauges.
I have never heard of any laws requiring computer usage, although it could be possible somewhere. Some dive operators require computers, but that is their requirement, not a law. Many OW classes do not teach tables.

I have never heard of any laws requiring computer usage, although it could be possible somewhere. Some dive operators require computers, but that is their requirement, not a law. Many OW classes do not teach tables.
The "Standards ( Belize Standard: Code of Practice for Recreational Scuba Diving Services) (Declaration of Compulsory Standard) Order, 2016" cite recreational scuba diving as being within the NSL of recognized tables or dive computers. It doesn't say they are mandatory.

Sir, please. Don't advise anyone this. It's all fine until there is an incident and all the lawyers want the dive computer. I have lived through this, I would not advise it to anyone.

The first thing that happens in an incident investigation (and I have been involved in several) is where is the dive computer?
It’s perfectly OK for someone to use tables. Computers are not mandatory.

I believe it is mandatory in Philippines.
How the operator enforced it is another matter!

In the US, nothing about recreational scuba diving is mandatory*. You can dive without computers, tables, or even certification if you want to. Shops, ops, and dive site owners can set whatever rules they like, but none of it is required by law.

*Ok, some states have dive flag requirements, but they still don't regulate your personal gear or your training.

In the US, nothing about recreational scuba diving is mandatory*. You can dive without computers, tables, or even certification if you want to. Shops, ops, and dive site owners can set whatever rules they like, but none of it is required by law.

*Ok, some states have dive flag requirements, but they still don't regulate your personal gear or your training.

A few coastal cities, Laguna Beach California being the example I can name, actually do require all divers to carry snorkels.

Los Angeles County actually has laws for what is required to teach a scuba class. But hey when you’ve been certifying divers since 1954 bound to end up with a few laws on the books.

Municode Library

That being said both laws aren’t really enforced. Lifeguards don’t really check about snorkels and most of the PADI/NAUI/SSI etc shops don’t follow the county laws for scuba certification, the only organization that does is the LA County Underwater Unit. Then again the training standards should be pretty familiar since some of the founding NAUI members were LA County Instructors (and originators of that course) and used their standards initially.

I believe it is mandatory in Philippines. How the operator enforced it is another matter!

Quote a law on it then. I've done hundreds of dives with people who have no dive computer in the Philippines. Some dive shops in the Philippines I know requires divers to have one or rent one.
Some local areas may require it but I cannot see it is a country law.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom