No depth gauge just computer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NCK

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Is it considered bad if I skip the depth gauge on my next set of gear? Just using a computer for depth and a wrist compass? Looking at getting back into diving with a travel size setup. I have never dove with a computer before. Just paper charts and analog gauges. But it seems like this is a good way to eliminate some clunky equipment?

Just normal holiday fun diving, nothing fancy.

Thanks

Reactions: OTF
Plenty of people (myself included) do not have an analog depth gauge.

I started with an analog depth gauge, but I eventually ditched it, as I only looked at the computer to reference depth.

two years ago my very old analog depth gauge died definitely.
I did buy my first cheap computer as a replacement: I managed to fit it in the console in the same space previously occupied by the analog gauge. You only get benefits using a computer instead of an analog depth gauge...

I think you got your answer. I think a better question is are you looking to ditch the counsel and just use a wrist computer with a standalone SPG or as @CuzzA suggested go all-in with AI computer?

I personally don't have an analog depth gauge, and would feel comfortable without one if I were starting out again today. From a financial standpoint, there's probably a bajillion used depth gauges on the market as more people move to computer-only gauges. So if you want one, I would explore getting one used.

I see no reason to bother with one. If you're computer fails, you're just going to surface with your buddy.

Is it considered bad if I skip the depth gauge on my next set of gear? Just using a computer for depth and a wrist compass? Looking at getting back into diving with a travel size setup. I have never dove with a computer before. Just paper charts and analog gauges. But it seems like this is a good way to eliminate some clunky equipment?

Just normal holiday fun diving, nothing fancy.
Based on your use, a separate depth gauge is not needed. In fact, I almost never see divers with both.

For travel, seriously consider CuzzA’s advice. Very streamlined this way. The AI tank pods (at least the PPS versions) are very reliable, and having the Octo on your inflator keeps it where you know it will be.

If the Shearwater computers with AI are too pricy, look for others from Oceanic, Aqualung or others that use the PPS transmitter. That will save you a bit when you get the Shearwater in the future.

I’ve never had a separate depth gauge. Just wrist computer.

Agree with no separate depth gauge or spg. I do like wearing a backup (non-ai) computer and spg in my bag when traveling far from home so I don’t have to skip subsequent dives if something fails.

I was watching a fellow diver trying to show off on a safety stop recently and when he lost his second stage sure looked sad trying to breathe from the air macdoodle until someone found his reg for him.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom