No deco and dive computers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not on a Suunto it won't, as soon as it hits deco it will beep and carry on and want you at 6m asap with a 3m ceiling adding to your TTS until you get there. I don't have anything else to add that hasn't been said other than you are doing a no deco dive so stay well within the NDL on your (fairly conservative) Suunto. Yes as you ascend you will get some time back.

Not true. I run my Gekko into Deco fairly regularly. I have had it clear many times in the 40ft range.

Personally I'd question the nitrox and consider not using it.

However, like I said, I'd probably dump the nitrox as the nitrox introduces other problems in regard to your depths and the benefits especially on your first deco dives are going to be out weighed by the issue of what happens if compounding all of this there comes a depth issue on top of things? What if your buddy F's up and gets narc'd and goes deeper than he should? You now are in deco and on top of it are faced with violating your maximum depth due to nitrox?

The diver is not planning to go into deco, unless I grossly misread the thread.

Perhaps I misunderstood this as well, but as I understand this advice, no one should ever use nitrox.

BTW, if someone is diving nitrox near the MOD and the buddy has a problem necessitating following that diver down past the MOD to effect a rescue, that chase will have to go long and deep before there is a real danger. If the diver is on EANx 30 and diving to 100 feet, you don't even pass the contingency MOD until you pass about 140 feet, and you will be safe deeper than that for a while yet. If you are diving a wreck at 100 feet, getting past 140 will probably require a shovel.

Edited: My advice, figure out how the decompression diving works (or better, take the courses) on your computer just in case you pass the limits. And always watch your air consumption to make sure you have time for the deco the computer gives you. But you should not have a problem if you stay within the limits on your computer.

Last edited:
. . .
My advice, figure out how the ad-hoc deco (if you want real deco, take the courses) works on your computer little by little, as the manuals are not very detailed on explaining this. . . .

I find it interesting to see different people's biases based on what they call it. If someone calls it "Emergency Deco" you know they're a safety conservative. If someone calls it "Unplanned Deco," they're a safety centrist. If someone calls it "Ad Hoc Deco" and contrasts it with "Real Deco" they're a safety liberal. If I recall, the Suunto manual tends toward something like "Emergency Ascent."

From the D4i manual:

"6.1.6. Decompression dives
When your NO DEC TIME becomes zero, your dive changes into a decompressiondive. Therefore, you must perform one or more decompression stops on your way to
the surface. The NO DEC TIME on your display will be replaced by an ASC TIME,
and a CEILING notation will appear. An upward pointing arrow will also prompt you
to start your ascent.
If you exceed the no-decompression limits on a dive, the dive computer will provide
the decompression information required for ascent. After this, the instrument will
continue to provide subsequent interval and repetitive dive information.
Rather than requiring you to make stops at fixed depths, the dive computer lets you
decompress within a range of depths (continuous decompression)."

Make sure you know how to use this mode, but watch your air and don't exceed the NDL of your computer.

Last edited:
From the D4i manual:
. . . .

You're right that Suunto doesn't use the word "emergency." My memory failed me. I guess that was something I remembered from my training, not Suunto. But now that I look at it, the Suunto manual does have a red triangle symbol and the word "WARNING" when describing what happens when a planned no-deco dive becomes a decompression dive. It also cautions that this is "NOT RECOMMENDED." Not wanting to encourage people to intentionally do it is no doubt why the manual doesn't go into more detail.

As for me, until I learn "real deco" and do properly planned deco dives, I will keep well within the NDL my computer tells me. Fooling around in the gray area just doesn't make sense to me.

To each his own comfort level.

Those of you who have dim memories of the word "emergency" being used in this context may be remembering PADI table training. They use "Emergency Decompression" to describe what you do if you violate the table limits.

Yes, you should always respect your computer. Period. Never said anything otherwise.

Thanks for the learning experience.

Last edited:
a few comments to follow up..

first off, the dive shops here all bank 30%, which has a mod equal to the wreck depths here. olympus has 36 for the NOAA guys, but that's it.

remember guys we are at the diving capitol of the east coast... these guys know what they are doing..

they also have the cool carolina rig 15 foot hang line setup... never seen it anywhere else, and I think it is the best way to rig a line..

lastly, whoever said the suunto will not add ndl as you ascend is wrong.. mine does it all the time. it does it incrementally. if it waited for 1ATM to change, that would be ridiculous... only calculating for every 33 feet.

as i said on both dives last weekend i was on nitrox using an air computer, so i knew i had more ndl time.. I waited until the computer was at 1 min the first dive and started to go up... after 10 ot fifteen feet my ndltime was 5 min..

the second dive i actually went deco on the computer, and as i ascended, i did a stop at 50 feet ( depth was 100) for a few min and looked at the computer and it had cleared the deco and had ndl time listed ...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom