No deco and dive computers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think he got it right when he said "with" but it's been quite a few years since I dove with Olympus.

Eh, I thought the point of a pony bottle was to add some extra safety on deeper dives? Why would Olympus not allow pony bottles for deeper dives but allow them for shallower dives? This doesn't even jibe with what I experienced the one time I dived with Olympus. I dived to 100 feet or so with a borrowed pony bottle. And I believe I saw others with pony bottles on those dives. So AfterDark's comment that Olympus won't let him dive with a pony bottle past 60' doesn't jibe with my experience. Am I misunderstanding something in these posts?

Eh, I thought the point of a pony bottle was to add some extra safety on deeper dives? Why would Olympus not allow pony bottles for deeper dives but allow them for shallower dives? This doesn't even jibe with what I experienced the one time I dived with Olympus. I dived to 100 feet or so with a borrowed pony bottle. And I believe I saw others with pony bottles on those dives. So AfterDark's comment that Olympus won't let him dive with a pony bottle past 60' doesn't jibe with my experience. Am I misunderstanding something in these posts?

Like I said it's been a long time since I dove with them but we were certainly diving well below 60 ft. with no pony bottles so not sure why that would be a policy now. I wonder if they require you to dive with a buddy and therefore no pony is deemed necessary or if they feel that if you have a pony, you may be more likely to push the no-deco window. Maybe someone will come along and explain.

I did not know they now require a pony bottle below 60ft. That surprises me because we were next to them diving the Spar and I don't remember seeing divers coming up from that wreck with pony bottles but I could have missed it.

Well there was one way to find out so I called Olympus and spoke with Ginger and they do not a require pony bottle to dive below 60 ft.

I did not know they now require a pony bottle below 60ft. That surprises me because we were next to them diving the Spar and I don't remember seeing divers coming up from that wreck with pony bottles but I could have missed it.

Well there was one way to find out so I called Olympus and spoke with Ginger and they do not a require pony bottle to dive below 60 ft.

I just checked their website and you are correct. Apparently they've changed a couple of things. Or the pony bottle requirement may have come from the LDS that organized the trip, and I misunderstood it to be Olympus. They are a good outfit for letting people dive their style as long as they are convinced it's safe. They were big on PDC's this year and had some available for use. They wanted every diver to have a PDC, but accepted a watch or bottom timer. Bottom line is Bob isn't going to let you kill yourself using his boat as the taxi!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom