No air integration in high-end and tech DCs . Why ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Getting back to the OP. Anyone ever wonder why high end watches are still dominated by analog displays?

Communication protocols are beasts that can be garantied too. For the physical channel and analog sensor stuff, the matter is more messy (costly to do properly).

You have much more confidence in these technologies than those of us who have spent out lives building and working with them.

After a lifetime with computers, software, sensor technology and embedded systems, all I can tell you for sure is "s*** happens".

You have much more confidence in these technologies than those of us who have spent out lives building and working with them.

After a lifetime with computers, software, sensor technology and embedded systems, all I can tell you for sure is "s*** happens".
Humf. Do I really have to reveal my nationality age and profession so we can keep talking about this ? **** happens indeed very often and in a perfect world we could explain why and how this is handled to casual end users(if they are alive). I admit to be of an optimistic mindset during surface intervals. The downstream consequences in re-engineering and debugging I still take with composure, and you surely know that is a handful. The comm protocols verification is a bit irrelevant wrt OQ since most tec divers reject it as anything but fun and distraction.

---------- Post added June 7th, 2014 at 01:12 AM ----------

from a PM who wishes to stay anonymous. Since I am just AOW and no-one would ever see or hear that otherwise, here it is:

I'm not going to enter the battlefield.
I like my AI - I have 7 sensors for the Sol I wear on my right hand. Why?

1 - I also have analog gauges. The two back each other up.

2 - I like analyzing my gas usage. I bookmark the start of each drill and can see how well I did, or didn't do, on calm execution.

3 - not sure I'd want a joint device - SPG & AI. I believe they would have a common transducer and if one goes, so goes the other.

4 - I'm not concerned about breaking an AI - it has the same joint as any HP line, and gets bigger. If the AI is smashed, it is ruined, but gas doesn't run out. The transducer is sealed.

5 - I sidemount, so I have to swap AI transducers when I swap regs. OMG, what if something happens and I don't???? Eff that - I don't care about usage if something happens, I'm following my training and exiting the dive.

I like my Petrel because I can see it without light. I like my Sol because it is fun to play with. I have my dive plan firmly in my mind when I go in. I could lose the first two without effect, except serious whining and grumpiness.

Shrug.

Getting back to the OP. Anyone ever wonder why high end watches are still dominated by analog displays?

Hmm, I have an answer for that. By high end, you mean expansive??? analog mechanical watches are expansive to make. Components are small, thousand of them. For consistent time keeping, some of the components are made by exotic material. And to making them accurate also take a lot of manual adjustment is need per watch per period of time. Compared to a Casio g-shock, one semi Si chip, one crystal oscillator and a lousy LCD display, which can be made much much cheaper in mass production, and it also a lot more accurate and fewer maintainance. BUT, people don't buy mechanical watch for time keeping purpose. It is more like a piece of jewel where price is not dependent on functionality

---------- Post added June 6th, 2014 at 06:19 PM ----------

It is always the people that actually make the product know how bad it can be. If you work in a restaurant, you will probably try to avoid eating out. If you are making SSD, you probably won't ever upgrade to them ..... But the reality is that isn't really that bad in term of DPPM. Having this said, I may not be willing to take chances underwater.

---------- Post added June 6th, 2014 at 06:20 PM ----------

This thread has been so off topic :)

No, they cannot, at least not in an absolute, omniscient sense. Consider the following manual language:

This computer has bugs.
one of my computers has its firmware open-source.
the source code is freely available.
C and assembly langage.
can be checked.

---------- Post added June 7th, 2014 at 04:23 PM ----------

that's not a matter of bugs.
my Casio GShock is a little bit more precise and has more functionnalities than my Seiko Titanium.
my Seiko is more elegant, that's all.

C and assembly langage.
can be checked.

Yes, I'm sure that makes it impossible for the following to hold true of your computer:
It is certain that there are things that this computer does that either we didn’t think about, or planned for it to do something different.

C and assembly langage.
can be checked.

That is a refreshing progress in practices, it enables everyone to inspect the parts of code they have doubts about -the famous "given enough eyeballs, all bugs are shallow"- but it is not enough to check in the sense that Dr L wants. A program in C and assembly adressing something as versatile as ARM processors can not be proven correct. It could be proven correct if much more restrictive languages were used or if the processing was done by digital that is synthesized from state machines.

Is there in the open source part also the makefiles, the test case, workloads, and the tools that are used for coverage analysis, memory leaks and such ?

Hmm, I have an answer for that. By high end, you mean expansive??? analog mechanical watches are expansive to make. Components are small, thousand of them. For consistent time keeping, some of the components are made by exotic material. And to making them accurate also take a lot of manual adjustment is need per watch per period of time. Compared to a Casio g-shock, one semi Si chip, one crystal oscillator and a lousy LCD display, which can be made much much cheaper in mass production, and it also a lot more accurate and fewer maintainance. BUT, people don't buy mechanical watch for time keeping purpose. It is more like a piece of jewel where price is not dependent on functionality

I was not thinking of the jewelry incrusted ones, more of buying the ones where function and form merge to create the best tool. I actually do my mechanical watches for time keeping purposes, typically a $75 analog dive watch. Looking at the desired function of my wrist watch, I don't need extreme precision. What I need the the ability to see the time within a few minutes very quickly. The analog face does this. Even if I glance at at without my glasses or were the view is degraded, I can tell the time. Same with an SPG.

Another side trail is when we use lab view or other software to display digital data from complex, digitally controlled systems, we tend to use analog displays (bars or gauge representations) of the data. The reason is simply the human mind can find the exception faster when presented with the analog forms. It is almost as fast as the traditional green light / red light (or idiot light on a car), but still provides a reasonable amount of data. I would propose an SPG is like this, provides reasonable precisions that can be perceived instantly. Its a good fit for form and function.

I have couple of high end watches in analog form. They include a date mechanism that I have to change about every other month. I also wear one when I travel, and I have to change the time when I do. I am thus fiddling with it with some regularity. How do I get it to the proper time every time I mess with it? I verify it with either a digital clock that has automatic time adjustment or my digital cell phone. I don't have to do anything to either one of them to get the perfect time and date.

Humf. Do I really have to reveal my nationality age and profession so we can keep talking about this ?

That's up to you, but I've been developing software since the early 70's and the current count of consumer grade devices that I will willingly trust with my life hovers right around "zero"

Your Mileage May Vary.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom