nitrox

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rick L

Reaction score
# of dives
How does nitrox work?
How deep and how long can you go?
How much does it cost?
What extra gear do you need?
Do you get nitrogen nicosis<sp>
A few questions Rick L

Hey Rick,

Here are some simple answers to complex questions. Please take the class before attempting NitrOx.

Originally posted by Rick L
How does nitrox work?
It replaces some of the Nitrogen with Oxygen. Since you metabolize Oxygen this will reduce the total nitrogen saturation at depth... ie, it either reduces the possibility of DCS or extends bottom time.

Your MOD (maximum Operating Depth) and EAD (Equivilant Air Depth for use with tables) varies with the percentage of O2. EANx36 has a MOD of 96ft and the EAD at 66ft would be 46 ft. The EAD varies with depth as well. EANx32 has a MOD of 111 ft and it's EAD at 66ft would be 53 ft

How much does it cost?
I pay $7.00 per fill on my hp PST 120s.

Oxygen clean tanks, and a computer, or tables geared toward NitrOx.

Yes, Oxygen has the same narcotic effects as Nitrogen. It actually has more, but your body consumes it and there is little difference. The real problem is that at certain levels and over time oxygen is TOXIC.
THAT IS WHY IT IS IMPORTANT TO TAKE THE CLASS. Please do not try and figure it out on your own. We want you to keep posting here!!

Rick L,
I'm a bit pressed for time, and there are others around who I'm sure can fill in more details, but, to start things off, here goes answers to a few of your questions. (BTW there could be a certain level of disagreement in the replies to a seemingly straightforward group of questions.)

First, "Nitrox" is the name given to any breathing gas consisting of nitrogen (N2) and oxygen (O2). These mixes are also called EANx, where the "x" is a number. That number indicated the percent of oxygen in the mix. BTW, regular air is, in some situations, called EAN21, because air has 21% oxygen.
The "theory of how nitrox works" in part, is that as you increase
the % of O2, you are decreasing the % of nitrogen. As such, you decrease the partial pressure of N2 at depth, which decreases the rate of N2 absorbtion, and therefore, could have a longer NDL (compared to air) for the same depth. Some people use Nitrox for that reason- longer dives, while others use it but stick to "air" NDLs, as an added safety factor against DCS
However, there are a variety of other concerns to be dealt with - including a fun thing called oxygen toxicity.

Second : your Maximum Operating Depth (MOD), would depend upon the O2 % in your mix. (Again that O2 toxicity thing.)

Third: Cost depends on a variety of factors: the mix, where you are getting it (at a resort in a rental tank vs. from an LDS, or elsewhere).

Forth: Regarding "extra" gear: none really-presuming you have a nitrox capable computer or tables-although there have been a number of lengthy, and hotly debated threads on the topic of "O2 cleaning" for nitrox use. (Regs and tanks may need to be specially cleaned or serviced, depending on the mix involved.)

Finally,"Do you get Nitrogen narcosis? Yes, but the reduced % of N2 does have an impact on the onset.

I hope these short answers have been helpful in giving you some insight regarding some of the facts about nitrox.
You have asked some very interesting questions,which I am sure will prompt more replies than this one.

My biggest suggestion would be to take a nitrox course-get the certification, and there, hopefully, you 'll get in depth answers to all your questions, and to the questions resulting from these answers.

Good Luck,
Miked

PS: As a testimony to my snail like speed at the keyboard, Netdoc got in first- But I'm pleased we agree!!

Originally posted by Rick L
How does nitrox work?
How much does it cost?
A few questions Rick L
Hi Rick....
Disclaimer... take the class....

Pete ~n~ Mike have already explained the answers to your questions....

Let me add that nitrox can increase you safety margin or increase your bottom time but not both....

Dive it like air (within MOD) and you increase your safety margine...
Dive it like nitrox and you increase your bottom time and reduce your SI...

C'mon down...
My next Nitrox class starts next Wednesday evening - we can squeeze you in.
Rick

Narcosis isn't the only concern for divers who use nitrox. The partial pressure of oxygen increases with depth and the risk of Central Nervous System (CNS) oxygen toxicity will also increase. For most recreational diving a 1.4 atm maximum partial pressure of oxygen is used to limit exposure and risk of CNS. You generally select the appropriate percentage of oxygen based upon your depth and the maximum partial pressure target.

omar

Hi and thanks for the info guys!
I was just wondering what nitrox was all about!
I see a lot of people are nitrox certified here.
Um Thanks for the invite rick ?
But I dont have that much gas money :)
Looks interesting ill have to do some reading on it!
Thanks Rick L

Originally posted by miked:
Forth: Regarding "extra" gear: none really-presuming you have a nitrox capable computer or tables-although there have been a number of lengthy, and hotly debated threads on the topic of "O2 cleaning" for nitrox use. (Regs and tanks may need to be specially cleaned or serviced, depending on the mix involved.)

Hotly debated? :whack: Nah! Not us, couldn't be! :angel:

Rule of thumb is that oxygen cleaning is not necessary unless that piece of equipment might contact oxygen concentrations greater than 40%. :fire: Of course, your chicken should always be oxygen cleaned. :tease:

during my AOW class, through IANTD.

As all the important info was already addressed, I can only recomend to go ahead and take the class. It will enrich your diving possibilities (as well as your mixture) and will open a door for further more tech stuff.

In Israel, you can get Nitrox almost anywhere, so I guess that the future of diving, if not the present, is in mixtures, even for the rec diver.

What ever you do, don't dive Nitrox without being certified and totally understanding the difference between Air and Nitrox and the risks involved with diving enriched air mixtures.

Ari :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom