nitrox

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That site is great!!
I just did the whole online course.
Nitrox is not what I thought it was.
I thought it was for real deep diving.
Im now thinking of taking a nitrox course.
That way Ill be able to get some longer bottom time with more of a saftey factor. I do a lot of diving in the 60 to 90 foot range.
Hmm Ive got 6 tanks too. 2 72s- 2 2400 95s and 2 3000 95s!!
Hmm could see 3 sets of duals in the future :)

Thanks everyone Rick L

Glad it helped Rick. I use nitrox for the extra safety factor, mainly dive it like air. I did have an experience with it that is kinda funny. I was diving in Bonaire and had purchased a unlimited nitrox package so I was diving it all the time. On one dive,first dive of the day, I picked up a EAN36 tank and took it on a shallow dive, max depth was in the 35 ft range with a lot of time in less water. After about 1 1/2 hrs into the dive my computer still said I had 9 hr 59 minutes of bottom time remaining. I began to wonder if my comp was broken until I realized that the nitrox had extended my NDL to over 10 hours and 9-59 was simply the max time my comp would display.

I took the Nitrox class as part of my AOW and probably learned more from it than the other. It is a really good primer on the gas laws and explaining a lot of the unanswered questions in OW class for me. Also forces me to plan out and think about the dive plan.

Just wish it was cheaper...

Tommy

Ya the average price looks around 225$
Im going to a dive shop in 20 minutes to check out the course!
Im looking for a new LDS too my favorite moved 100 miles away!
:-( after 14 years I feel like a orphan.
Rick L

RickL,

I don't know how your Nitrox class is set up, but here's my favorite way to rationalize away some of the class's cost:

If I pay $150 for the class and get a two-tank dive in the bargain ($67 value), then I only paid $83 for the class.

You should hear my rationalization for buying my time-share.

Actually I was complaining about the cost of the gas, around here air is 4/fill and nitrox 12 per fill. The guy who taught me my AOW includes the nitrox class for his cost basically since he sees it as such an integral part of diving. I think the class runs about 160 or so around here in mid state NC.

This is not to start another "price of fills" thread, more of an offhand comment guys

Tommy:D

Just got back from the shop. The class is 225$ and includes 2
open water dives the gas is included too. They charge 16$ to fill a 95. Is that about average? I also bought a dive rite harness setup for my wing setup. Damn first time I go there im spending money allready :)
Rick L

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom