NITROX Yes or no ???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DI_Guy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am considering taking a NITROX course and was wondering what percentage of recreational divers use Nitrox.

I know the advantages are longer NDL's ; reduced decompression penalties due to lower nitrogen levels; shorter SI's and generally feeling less tired or lethargic.

Questions:

Have you had any problems getting Nitrox fills anywhere you've gone diving?

Are you glad you went with Nitrox ?

Have you noticed your gas consumption rate has reduced since using Nitrox (ie: higher blood oxygenation )

Any negative comments about Nitrox (apart from the risk of O2 toxicity) ?

Bubblemaker_ontario:
Questions:

Some resorts in far-flung countries don't have Nitrox, but most of the common diver destinations do nowadays. You generally have to pay between 5 and 15 dollars per tank, IME.

Yep. Glad I have the option, it's comforting to have that extra margin of safety. I have not confirmed or disproved that nitrox has any effect on my post-dive energy level, however.

Have you noticed your gas consumption rate has reduced since using Nitrox (ie: higher blood oxygenation )
No.

That's a big one. You must pay attention to your MOD. Plus, the gas generally costs more, and my tanks have to be 02 cleaned if they get contaminated. But it's still worth it to be certified. The class costs something like a hundred bucks, and if you are doing repetetive dives, it is safer than air because you accumulate less N2. It's not something that's always appropriate, but I am certainly glad I have the option to use air or EANX.

There are pros and cons to everything. It depends on your priorities.

Nitrox (EANx) can offer a significantly higher quality diving experience, in terms of longer times at moderate depths and greater safety (e.g. reduced nitrogen ongassing). (As Sue said, you DO have to pay greater attention to your maximum operating depth.)

Outside of the dive experience itself, Nitrox can be more inconvenient and more expensive. The first because not all places that offer nitrox offer banked pre-mixed nitrox. If your fill station must partial-pressure blend, then you're looking at an annual O2 cleaning of your tank and valve when the VIP is done, which adds cost. Then add to the second the fact that nitrox fills themselves cost more than air fills.

You already invest quite a bit, in terms of time and expense, for those 30-50 minute dives you perform. Going with nitrox increases the cost a bit over time, but also increases the length of time you spend diving.

You're not diving because its necessarily a convenient, cost-efficient sport, are you? :D I'd recommend you go with the nitrox. FWIW.

I never even thought of the that,,,, most of the buddies I dive with are currently not certified in NITROX... I would not benefit from the increased NDL's if we have to surface because one of us is on air. (something to think about)

All the more reason to get my buddies interested in Nitrox, as well. Thank you Sue & Doc

It'll only benefit you significantly if you're good on air. If you run out of NDL time before you run out of air, Nitrox will give you more bottom time. I wouldn't discourage you from doing the training but for me, it wasn't worth it until I had my breathing under control.

jiveturkey:
It'll only benefit you significantly if you're good on air. If you run out of NDL time before you run out of air, Nitrox will give you more bottom time. I wouldn't discourage you from doing the training but for me, it wasn't worth it until I had my breathing under control.

Exactly....

Thats why I asked if people noticed an improvement in their SAR. If you run out of EAN before you reach your NDL, you've not really gained anything with respects to dive time.

Good point JT ....

Some have said that they don't suffer from post dive headaches while using nitrox as compared to air ... That could be a benefit too.

I am not a technical diver and don't dive with technical divers.. I am still weighing the pros and cons for my use.

Some say it is psychosomatic, but I FEEL better after a nitrox dive - more energized, more alert. So, if I'm making multiple dives I like to use it for my beginning dive(s) so I'm up for the others.
Hey, if it's all in my head, please don't confuse me with the facts! Besides, my LDS needs the extra $.:wink:

[QUOTE=Bubblemaker_ontario]I am considering taking a NITROX course and was wondering what percentage of recreational divers use Nitrox.

I know the advantages are longer NDL's ; reduced decompression penalties due to lower nitrogen levels; shorter SI's and generally feeling less tired or lethargic.

Questions:

A few places in Belize. Costa Rica and the SE Pacific, but as Nitrox continues become "mainstream", I have discovered that many more resorts and liveaboards are offering it as an option.

Are you glad you went with Nitrox

Absolutely! I'm sixty-one years old, and would not even attempt five to six dives per day without the "geezer gas".

Some. Maybe 10% on easier dives at 60-80 fsw.

No. Training. experience, physical conditioning and common sense are as important in dealing with Nitrox as with any other aspect of diving

Bubblemaker_ontario:
Yes. Whether I was nitrox certified at the time had no bearing on this.
Bubblemaker_ontario:
Absolutely
Bubblemaker_ontario:
No. The only places I have seen nitrox improve gas consumption is in a couple of tests in shallow water with considerable amounts of fast swimming. I take this as more of a statement on poor regulator performance. At 33 feet on air, the diver is getting oxygen at 0.42 ATA, more than enough to saturate the hemoglobin. More oxygen will not fix anything.
Bubblemaker_ontario:
None. The information from the nitrox course is pretty illuminating even if you never breathe the stuff. It is often bundled with AOW, which makes sense.

If you find yourself coming back with air to avoid exceeding the NDLs, it is time for nitrox.

If you always run out of air before you run out of time, you are not ready for nitrox.

You can't get a nitrox fill in east Kentucky and the two Hr. drive to get nitrox just is not worth the time.

Back
Top Bottom