Nitrox Stik - is it safe??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

teamoctopus

Registered
Reaction score
Grand Case, St. Martin, French West Indies
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Hi,

I am looking to purchase a Nitrox stik as I have a plentiful supply of good clean O2 at a very reasonable price.

I have a brand new coltri sub compressor which is safe up to 40%.

Could anyone shed some light on thier personal experience with Nitrox stiks - not so worried about hearsay - more personal experience.

Thanks so much for you help.

Teamoctopus

Been using them for years. Don't let the O2 content exceed 40% and they're safe. DIY is an inexpensive and entertaining project, you can search for plans. Be sensitive to the tunneling issue and you'll get good (and safe) results while saving a pile of cash.

We've been using them for years, first on a 2nd hand Coltri like yours, and currently on a Bauer. They work just great, so well that the first reaction most users have is "Why haven't I been doing it this way all along?".

It takes some discipline to to it right - you got to remember to alway start the compressor before you turn on the O2, and turn the O2 off first, and to turn off the O2 immediately if for some reason the compressor stops running. And to observe religiously the 40% limit. Other than that, it is pretty simple.

The prices for commercial units, typically in the $1000 range, are somewhat baffling. You can build the one in our book for $25 to $50, depending on how successful you are at scrounging a regulator (lots of them on eBay). I suspect there are as many of them, and other homebuilts, running now as there are genuine Nitrox Sticks. And you don't hear of many problems or complaints.

Oh, one really nice thing about continuous mixing is that it makes it so easy to top up tanks. The gas savings from this alone will quickly pay for a homemade stick.

Hi,

I am looking to purchase a Nitrox stik as I have a plentiful supply of good clean O2 at a very reasonable price.

I have a brand new coltri sub compressor which is safe up to 40%.

Could anyone shed some light on thier personal experience with Nitrox stiks - not so worried about hearsay - more personal experience.

Thanks so much for you help.

Teamoctopus

Thanks for the info - do you have any more sepcific info that you could share.

We've been using them for years, first on a 2nd hand Coltri like yours, and currently on a Bauer. They work just great, so well that the first reaction most users have is "Why haven't I been doing it this way all along?".

It takes some discipline to to it right - you got to remember to alway start the compressor before you turn on the O2, and turn the O2 off first, and to turn off the O2 immediately if for some reason the compressor stops running. And to observe religiously the 40% limit. Other than that, it is pretty simple.

The prices for commercial units, typically in the $1000 range, are somewhat baffling. You can build the one in our book for $25 to $50, depending on how successful you are at scrounging a regulator (lots of them on eBay). I suspect there are as many of them, and other homebuilts, running now as there are genuine Nitrox Sticks. And you don't hear of many problems or complaints.

Oh, one really nice thing about continuous mixing is that it makes it so easy to top up tanks. The gas savings from this alone will quickly pay for a homemade stick.

Team Octopus. simply put, go buy Vance's book. it'll answer all the questions you have.

here is a link to it. Vance Harlow's OXYGEN HACKER'S COMPANION From AIrspeed Press

Add another one +1 ...Definitely get Vance's book it certainly is the home brewers best...lot's of valuable information. You'll be glad you did...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom